O-rings and low sulpher diesel

Whit

Reaction score
Will low sulfur diesel or low aromatics diesel cause fuel system leaks?

The introduction of low sulfur diesel for on-road use in the U.S. was accompanied by fuel system leaks in a very small percentage of vehicles. Investigations into the cause of these leaks suggest that the problem was linked to the change in the aromatics content of the fuel and to seal material and age.
Diesel fuel systems contain "O-rings" and other parts made of elastomeric materials. These elastomers swell slightly when they contact diesel fuel, because they absorb aromatic compounds from the fuel. Exposure to a fuel with a lower aromatics content will result in some of the absorbed aromatics being leached out, causing the elastomer to shrink towards its original size. If the elastomer is still pliable, this shrinkage will not cause a leak. However, if age or service at higher-than-normal temperatures has caused the elastomer to loose its elasticity, a leak could occur. Vehicle owners should be aware that elastomeric parts have finite lives and should be replaced as necessary.

By itself, low sulfur or low aromatics diesel fuel does not cause fuel system leaks. They are caused by the combination of a change from higher to lower aromatics fuel and aged O-rings and elastomeric parts that have lost their elasticity.​

My experience with O-rings where they can absorb aromatic compounds is when you replace them go with EPDM, KALREZ or VITON........we deal with this at work every day

Cheers,Kevin

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many of those leaks that have occurred since the introduction of ULSD would have happened anyway due to age?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I wonder how many of those leaks that have occurred since the introduction of ULSD would have happened anyway due to age?

You have a point. But I did however gain a fuel leaker on the back side of the engine not long after Wally World here changed over - so I'm going to blame it on that because there is no way a truck with 250+k miles on it can just up and start leaking... no way dude....

Sabre2th

Reaction score
I've personally shipped out over 700 sets of drain valve o-rings and have had to rebuild the injector pumps on both of my tractors since the introduction of ULSD..
Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7