Not quite a 911, but close.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need some quick help. I installed an egt gauge in my truck yesterday and went to turn the fuel up a flat today, but decided I wasn't comfortable trying to turn the allen wrench I had because it was too short. So I buttoned it all back up, went to start it and nothing. I bled the lines and have fuel coming out, have fuel at the valve, and the fss has power. What am I missing? It is about 40 degrees out and has been starting fine before today, when I screwed it all up by trying to turn up the fuel. I know, it was stupid, and I learned my lesson. Anyone have an idea of what to do from here? Batteries and starter are new as well, so I'm sure it's not that.

Thanks

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs are fine. I literally took that side access cover off, let the fuel drain out, rotate the engine by hand until the allen head was visible and put my wrench on it to get a feel. I decided I didn't want to try turning it, so I put the gasket and cover back on and neither was damaged. Tightened the little bolts up, and now it wont start. I got it to hit a few times but it'll only run for a few seconds.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done that a few times, but it's still not starting. There is smoke coming from the tailpipe though, so it's definitely got fuel. I think I'm mainly having problems because it's much cooler out. I really regret trying to mess with the pump today.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No worrys. Your doing the correct thing by bleeding the lines at the injecters. Now do this a few times. Hold the throttle wide open and crank for 10 to 15 seconds. Then crack open as many easy to reach injecter line nuts at the injecters. Listen for the hiss of escaping air or see the fuel begining to seep out. tighten them up and crank again. I guraentee it will fire in a few cycles of that. Please allow about 2 minutes between cranking so the starter can cool down. Holding wide open helps push more fuel thru the lines to the injecters. What your experiancing is generally felt to be normal. You let all the fuel out of the pump and now its pushing out the air. That takes time. If you had a standard tans rig push or drag it in second gear. That way the engine is rotating much faster than the starter can spin it and its making more heat compressing the air in the cylinder turning over faster. Remember these diesls start by the air being compressed and that creates lots of heat. The faster it compresses or turns over the hotter the air gets in the cylinders.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many cycles of bleeding might it take? It seems like we have done six or eight, but it still doesn't want to go.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like u have everything you need to get it started power to the fss and fuel going to the injectors... just keep cranking and bleeding.Keep trying, make sure you let the starter cool down and make sure your batts are strong keep them charged up; if not your starter will be turning slow and you are just wasting your time... it needs to spin fast.
Keep the block heater plugged in for a while, my heater takes several hours to ge the engine warmed up.
DO NOT use starter fluid no matter how tempting it is.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the cover off mine a half dozen times for emissions testing and it usually fires up real quick, dont know why its giving you so much trouble. How long was the cover off?

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cover was off for MAYBE 15 minutes while I was lining up the screw hole. I just don't understand what the problem is.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you closing the injector lines after you get done crancking or are you leaving them open all the time, you should only crack them while cranking the engine.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have tried it both ways. Initially, and when we first installed the pump, we were cranking until we say a slight amount of fuel oozing out. At Gary's suggestion, we tried cranking and allowing air to escape afterwards. Still, no fire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online