Not looking to be swonked but..... (no, not selling the truck)

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
The truck leaks oil at idle, but I'm assuming more while it's being driven. The tube does make it into the block for sure, as myself and 2 other people have looked at it and dealt with it, like I said I can't get it out now, so how can I fix it..... lol Shoot, if all it took was beer n' a homecooked meal to get it fixed consider it done, hahahahha....... hope you like bud light.......

i don't honestly see how I could be overfilling, I mean I literally watched a quart of oil leak out of it while it idle for about 10 minutes, that was just at idle, forget driving :-( I'd be happy to drain the oil out I suppose this weekend and start from scratch, stick a new oil filter on there.... it's supposed to be 76 degrees out! How many quarts is full? is it about 14 ish? Never done the oil on it myself took it to the big truck place always......

oh and the reason why the dipstick tube came out in the first place is because the bracket for it is MIA... grr!

And Paint Lick is off of exit 76 on i75.... but closer to 52, but it's deff. not called paintsville.... odd.....

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
where's arlington at? anywhere near I10? I'm going back to TX in the spring to work on my houses.

i think its basically buckeye correct me if im wrong jake but I10 is right there
and if you do make it there to jakes place let me know im only 2hrs away and would like to meet you tow cat if your able to get there on a weekend
i might even take a day off of work
i dont think i need my truck timed but would just like to meet you in person

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
i don't honestly see how I could be overfilling, I mean I literally watched a quart of oil leak out of it while it idle for about 10 minutes, that was just at idle, forget driving :-( I'd be happy to drain the oil out I suppose this weekend and start from scratch, stick a new oil filter on there.... it's supposed to be 76 degrees out! How many quarts is full? is it about 14 ish? Never done the oil on it myself took it to the big truck place always......

It's 10 with the stock filter and 11 if you use a PS filter.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sam I would suggest using the PSD filter. With all that lift and a 4X4 it won't even be tight. Before I did anything though I would pressure wash the engine compartment, everything that isn't harmed by getting wet, and clean everything else as best as possible. Then make sure its reasonably full of whatever oil is around and at least diesel rated. Watch it run and see where its leaking from. A new case of oil is just going to be $50 down the drain at this point. That really is a MASSIVE leak. The candidates are the mechanical lift pump, a pressure or return line from your turbo or the oil cooler. I know you can get a substantial leak from the dipstick tube but I really doubt it could be that much so quickly even if its not making a perfect seal. Maybe I'll call you to discuss this. I wish you still lived here.

tractorman86

Reaction score
yea, kevin is right. i am about 5-10miles south of I10. just give me a shout when you are coming through and maybe we can meet up and have a little south western meet.

tractorman86

Reaction score
hmmm i dont know what to tell ya sam, sounds like someone just needs to come over and give you a hand. remember 2 heads are always better that one.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
dont know if this would apply but when i was 16 my buddy had a problem with oil (lots of it) coming out the dipstick tube. it was a 79 Ford 302, we thought it was head gaskets. did them in a couple of hours and still had the problem. he gave up put a reman in and later found out one of the pistons was cracked. it was all the blow buy pushing it out.

had an old 78 CJ5 Jeep with the 258 6 that did it to. that one was the rats nest of pcv tubing all messed up. when the RPMs got up oil would just flow out until i got it cleaned up.

have you done a compression or even better a leak down test. that can tell you allot before you dig into anything and throw parts at it. if one of your cylinders is down compression it is a red flag.

could worn valve guides let enough pressure past to do this?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot, if all it took was beer n' a homecooked meal to get it fixed consider it done, hahahahha....... hope you like bud light.......
A case of beer (Bud Light too) was all Cat needed to help me with them springs, and I've been working on my buddies' F250 and Ramcharger for nothing more than pizza and Taco Bell burritos - yeah, sometimes that's all the motivation we need :D

On your oil capacity question - 10 quarts stock, 11 with the PSD filter, but at this point this would be just a waste of money - if you do have too much oil, and it does push out a quart per 15 minutes, I'd suggest idling it for like 15 minutes and the shutting off and 10 minutes later checking the oil level at the dipstick - you'll immediately know if you're already below where you should be at, or still have too much oil (if that was the case to begin with). Just don't forget to wipe the dipstick off before reading it, (pull out, wipe, insert all the way, pull out right away, read) as it may initially have oil way the hell up there on the stick from oil mist and vapors condensation.

Jred brings up a good point with the compression and leakdown tests, however if it was really all that bad it would also push the dipstick out of the tube - have you noticed that happening?

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Dipstick stays in the tube as it should, I've watched the oil leak out of the tube cleaned it 3 or 4 times and it goes right back to leaking out.......... gunna pull it out somehow today and JB weld it after i clean it up real good....... its gunna be 75 degrees today!

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
WOOT!......... success!........ sooooo i got the dipstick tube out..... cleaned it real good and the hole in the block (for the 3rd time now) but I used JB weld instead of RTV..... let it set up for about 9 hours, did an oil change on the beast, PSD filter, 11 quarts..... had to recruit help to get the old filter off grrr!..... andd..... fired it right up (hasn't started in at least 2 weeks) and.... NO LEAKS...... so me being me.... i took it out and hauled tail down to town, bout 10 miles, jumped out checked all suspect leakage areas and nothing.... got on the interstate, 5th gear wide open, brought em home.... still no leaks.......but.....

oil pressure is still funky..... at idle it's fine, driving it dips down quite a bit, not nearly as bad as it was though.... i'm fixin to get gauges for it, but still it concerns me some..... so now all i have to do is.... fix the rear axle seals that are leaking, get two window motors, and I think that's it fer the momentee.... i dunno though.....

ya'll have been super helpful as usual, hopefully he'll make it till july....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thank god thats done. I felt you could handle it but the JB weld scres me some. When it comes time to remove that it will be a pain. Now the rear seals. First off remove the vent line and try blowing back thru it. Knock it off guys... Were trying to help here. If thats clear then something went wrong with the seal installation. I dought the brake shoes can be saved but try cleaning them with brake cleaner anyway. It might work if they are not too oiled up. Again... Good job on the fix that worked for you...;Sweet

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I hope I don't have to remove it unless i'm pulling the motor to put a cummins or stroke in there.... hehehe........ I don't have any jackstands to fool with the rear end here at the hacienda.... :-( Where is this vent you speak of located?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online