Noob Qestion.

blender

Reaction score
I have alot of construction equipment to fuel and am looking to cut costs. I have a 2800 gallon truck that I roll from site to site to top off the equipment. I have got my hands on a little over 1100 gallons of WMO this week, 100% Rotella T used in big rigs no synthetic all dyno. Would it be possible to pump 1000 gallons on my truck then go to the refinery and load the remaining 1800 gallons of high sulphur diesel (Red Dyed- Off Road) and not have any trouble? Main use is older dozers and track hoes, large gensets up to 2 meg. I will filter down to 2 microns or 1 if need be. With all my construction contacts, I can score at a minimum 900 gal a week and up to 2000 gal a week of Rotella dyno. I'm looking into the simple centrifuge now and may go ahead an fabricate one up.

I'm new to the site.
Bryan

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Bryan ;Sweet

There shouldnt be anything wrong with that. If you filter it good, and mix it like you said, all should be good. Looks to be around a 36-38% WMO in that mix, off the top of my head. That should be good to run in basically anything.

blender

Reaction score
Thanks a million and glad to be here. I'm trying to get a filtering unit setup now. I'm looking a Reefdivers but trying to find out the housings used and what I need to push it through the filters. Also the Wix filter post that's up here looks simple enough. What are you using? It will be a bit before the centrifuge arrives but I can't wait to try it out.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yep should run fine i would test out some on a small batch to see how it does. not trying to scare anybody but WMO can cause extra carbon build up long term or possibly wear your fuel system out quicker. neither of these things i feel has been really proved out one way or the other. i personally feel it is worth the risk even if i cut my injector life in half i would still come out WAY ahead financially.

i believe reefdiver is using a whole house filter set up like me available from any hardware store.

blender

Reaction score
Thanks Jred, I've been lurking for a bit checking everything out and with Hi Sulpur the way it is now I've got to make a move. I will filter like everyone else it seems for a bit but the centrifuge is the next step. I plan on filtering a lot of WMO and WVO a week so it should speed the process up and be less hands on.

Last edited:

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you really need to test this in small batches on each piece of equipment before you invest in 1800 gallons of OR diesel that will be ruined if your stuff cannot run on this mix.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah you really need to test this in small batches on each piece of equipment before you invest in 1800 gallons of OR diesel that will be ruined if your stuff cannot run on this mix.
+1 on that suggestion.
here's your gamble. the IH idi's are "relatively" cheap to fix if something goes bad in the fuel system. Not so on much of your heavy equipment. Especially so on your Cat powered stuff. mind you, my secondary filter on my Wix setup is sourced from a 3406E. So it is near to OE for you. If I was in your shoes, I'd start at 20% WMO and slowly work up from there. Also, start with a baseline with getting a oil analysis done on your equipment so you have a number to start on.

blender

Reaction score
I ran a small batch this morning on a bobcat and a D5 dozer. I went ahead and ran a 50-50 mix and the only difference I saw was a bit more smoke under load. It wasn't a massive amount billowing but puffing a bit more than usual. Has anyone mixed Jet A with WMO, I was going to blend it in with some veggie and try it. I'll dump a bit in the excavators tomorrow with a 40 wmo 60 hisul mix.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all the jet fuels is kerosene with anti-freeze and anti-gell chemicals blended in. the airlines have been running it in their ground equipment for years. used straight there's no lubricity whatsoever.

blender

Reaction score
Thanks, a friend delivers Jet A - Turbo to a local helicopter facility and they can't get it all out of his lines after a load is dropped. So before his next delivery he stops by and starts the pumping system and we run it till it's flushed. His hose reel holds about 80gal and I have six 55gal drums of it now and was wondering what to do with it.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Thanks, a friend delivers Jet A - Turbo to a local helicopter facility and they can't get it all out of his lines after a load is dropped. So before his next delivery he stops by and starts the pumping system and we run it till it's flushed. His hose reel holds about 80gal and I have six 55gal drums of it now and was wondering what to do with it.

Blend it and burn it. ;Sweet

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
im not familiar with jet fuel but towcat had said something that cought my attension it doesnt have any lubricity i wouldnt run it but thats me
maybe u could blend in about 75% wmo and it might be fine idont know

blender

Reaction score
Those properties I think might make it better to thin down WVO with and run like a RUG mixture. I was poking around the solvent thinning at biodiesel forums and maybe that could be an application.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran a small batch this morning on a bobcat and a D5 dozer. I went ahead and ran a 50-50 mix and the only difference I saw was a bit more smoke under load. It wasn't a massive amount billowing but puffing a bit more than usual. Has anyone mixed Jet A with WMO, I was going to blend it in with some veggie and try it. I'll dump a bit in the excavators tomorrow with a 40 wmo 60 hisul mix.

Blender I run 50% #2, 25% WMO and 25% WVO in my 91 cummins. It smokes the blue a lil till it warmsup, but after that I dont notice any diffrence.

I need to get the ford fixed so I can try some heavier blends.

Stu

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online