No throttle response in an Excursion

nmu1974

Reaction score
7.3 2003 Excursion starts fine but no throttle response, 120k miles - any ideas?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check this.

....It recieves a 5 volt reference on the Brown/White ---- ground circuit on the Black/White wire. It also sends a .9 volt to 4.5 volt signal on the Green/White wire to the PCM to indicate throttle position.

The IVS is a normally closed switch. It has 2 wires, 1 is a Brown, a fused battery voltage wire , the other is Red/Orange and goes to the PCM to confirm pedal position. When the pedal is in the idle position the Brown wire at the IVS is battery voltage and the Red/Orange wire is 0 volts.

As pedal travel
increases to approximately 1.3 volts as indicated on the Green/White wire at the AP sensor[or TPS], the voltage on the Red/Orange wire should increase to battery voltage to indicate acceleration.

nmu1974

Reaction score
oldbull 8 - Just wanted to let you know that you were right and it only cost $405.00 at the stealership to make it better - OUCH ! ! ! I lookedon the internet and found a replacement part for $35.00 They also found other things (of course) wrong with my vehicle like 4 new shocks for $850.00, change my differential fluid for $305.00, and a new brake light bulb for $24.00. Just one "imaginary "light bulb per day should make them about $7,000/year. BTW when I got home my brake lights were fine. Do ya' think I am getting hosed? With prices like these it is hard to see how the auto industry isn't making enough money. JEEZ.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the PO of my Excursion had replaced the throttle position sensor and got the part at an IH dealer for like $25. Yes, your getting hosed, although if your in New York, I'd say it sounds normal. (the prices AND getting hosed). If you took the truck in cause it wouldn't go, and they sold you shocks and changed your diff fluid, and you didn't ask them to, then why did you pay for it?

nmu1974

Reaction score
I know the PO of my Excursion had replaced the throttle position sensor and got the part at an IH dealer for like $25. Yes, your getting hosed, although if your in New York, I'd say it sounds normal. (the prices AND getting hosed). If you took the truck in cause it wouldn't go, and they sold you shocks and changed your diff fluid, and you didn't ask them to, then why did you pay for it?

No, I'll do the shocks and differential and "phantom" brake light myself. myself. It can't be that hard. BTW, I'm on Cape Cod and beware, everyone jacks their prices during tourist season. This may have been beyond the call of duty however.