No reading on the DTI 3300s

gandalf

Reaction score
Gandalf how far away did you set your magnetic probe? I have tried it very close to the balancer with no results. I saw that someone said they put it more than 4 card lengths away and it worked???

Honestly, I didn't measure the clearance. I remember cleaning the bore hole with a drill bit, which took only a moment or so. I inserted the probe until it fully contacted the rotating surface, and pulled it back just about half a hair width, barely enough to notice.

I sanded the injection line, as close as possible to he injector, until it was bright and shiny. Good contact is essential on that line. A good contact is equally essential on the ground. I hunted long and hard for a good ground, found one on a bolt going into the block. I sanded that too to assure a clean surface.

The sequence of steps in the process is important. As I recall turning the meter on at the proper point in the sequence is critical. Read the instructions several times, write out a cheat-sheet for the process you intend to use.

This is all being said purely from memory since I am not at home with reference to my meter or the instructions. I'll be back tomorrow afternoon if you need me to verify anything.

Ronw435

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I went back out and tried it several more times with the probe. No results! Going to wait for the timing light.
Should be here next week.

I get a steady rpm reading but after the -20 stops flashing it stays steady at -20.

Timing light should be the answer.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
A good contact is equally essential on the ground. I hunted long and hard for a good ground, found one on a bolt going into the block. I sanded that too to assure a clean surface.
You can sand a second or just bigger spot on that injector line and use it for your ground.

Ronw435

Reaction score
Well update on getting my 86 6.9 timed. Got the timing light and finally got it timed. Had to set it 9.0 BTDC as about the only way i could go any further was to loosen all the injection lines which I didnt see any reason to do. I had to set it about a nickels width towards the drivers side from the original marks but its done.....whew. The timing light is the only way to go.
Thanks to all the help guys it really is appreciated.

Ron

Last edited:

Oldred

Reaction score
You really need to consider cracking those inj. lines and re-tighten them or you run the risk of those lines stress cracking. I don't want to think about trying to find replacements.