No fuel to injectors, IP full

John_piv

Reaction score
Hey y'all,
FINALLY found a replacement 6.9 for my 87 after about a year so I'm stoked to get this ol' rig moving again. Engines in, trans is mounted, ready to go, and I have no fuel at my injectors when I go to bleed the air out.

Getting fuel from the tank to the pump, filter is full, and IP is full when I popped of the top. Tried cranking for 45 second and nothing came out of the lines.

Could this be a sign of a clogged/bad pump or could the guy have timed the engine wrong? I feel like bad timing would still pump some fuel, but not sure.

Any tests or guidance would be appreciated.
TIA,
Parker

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unknown parameters make it hard for us to say.
Keep 1/2 of the lines open and crank for 20 seconds and then rest for 40 or more.
Once you get a flow swap over the other 4.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Could this be a sign of a clogged/bad pump or could the guy have timed the engine wrong? I feel like bad timing would still pump some fuel, but not sure.
I would lean toward the clogged/inoperative pump. Naturally, make sure that the shut off solenoid is working correctly. Then you can dive deeper. Since the pump is mechanical, aside from the shut off, it should still pump out the same amount of fuel whether it's in time or not. I've seen 6.2s and 6.5s run with the IP gear timing off 180* so they were still pumping out fuel. Another thing to check out is whether or not the IP driveshaft is good or bad. That requires removing the IP. Then you turn the part that sits inside the gear by hand. If it's good, you'll feel a "click" as it turns around. If you don't feel that then it's bad and some rebuilders won't accept that as a good core.

ihc1470

Reaction score
Dumb question but you did connect the power wire back to the shut off solenoid and you can hear it click when you turn the key on and depress the throttle a little?

John_piv

Reaction score
Dumb question but you did connect the power wire back to the shut off solenoid and you can hear it click when you turn the key on and depress the throttle a little?
Tapping the connector to the pump shutoff there is an audible click

Black dawg

Reaction score
Did you check to make sure the metering valve is not sticking in the closed position?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online