No Dash light or Wait to start light

Ryland

Reaction score
Hey Guys I recently picked up a 1993 f-250 IDIT for 2000$ and the dash backlight and wait to start lights don’t work.

After looking through the forums I checked the number 4 fuse and it was good, the tail lights work as well.

I read somewhere that the dash and radio light were both connected to the same dimmer on the headlight switch and the truck doesn’t have a radio so I was thinking about trying to find one at a salvage yard and seeing if that fixes the problem?

Can anyone confirm if this will do anything, or if there is something else I should check first?

http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/Rytheman1/library/Mobile Uploads

Thanks!

MICHAEL MICHAUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuse for the wait to start light is under the hood in fuse box on the driver side. I had the same problem it was a blown fuse. It's Fuse K in the power distribution box.

The headlight switch in the dash has a wiring harness. That wiring harness can pull out of the switch. Use a ziptie to keep that harness tight onto the switch it should fix your back light issue.

Last edited:

Ryland

Reaction score
Okay thanks, I will check both of those, the backlight should work even with the radio unplugged though?

MICHAEL MICHAUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having a backlight and headlight issue. That harness was loose fitting and it fixed all my issues. I have an aftermarket radio as well but I didn't have to even look that far for my lighting solution so I can't comment on that. Hopefully you can fix it much easier.

Also yeah I guess just install a radio. Even wiring a custom harness is pretty quick. They make really easy wire nuts for doing radios I forget what they are called but they are awesome. 2 hr job
Max.

Amazon Posi-Twist® Wire Connectors 14-24 gauge

I have 3 radios in my garage you can have them all i don't know why I keep them

Last edited:

Ryland

Reaction score
Alright thanks, I’ll start with the headlight switch and see if that fixes the problem and check that fuse.