No Charge

maddenji

Reaction score
Here we go. Getting no charge. Voltage gauge shows about 12V. Digital Voltmeter on the batteries shows 12V running or not. Funny thing, The battery icon does not light on the dash. Even with the key on and the truck not running. Had the alternator tested at a rebuilder's shop. Checked out OK. He even removed the brush ass'y and it and the slip rings are ok. Installed the alt. Still no Batt. light. Traced the wiring in my manual for the batt. light, one side is the "ignition" wire, red with a green stripe, and the other goes to the alternator, green with a red stripe. Tried to get the light to light by grounding the green w/ red wire. This would force the light to light with 12v on one side and ground on the other. Still no light.
Started to pull the dash panel to check continuity on the wiring. Saw a tag which said: (Before removing instrument cluster call Ford electrical engineering. 800-523-7763). Anyone know what that is
about?
Any help is appreciated
Jim

zpd307

Reaction score
check to see if the bulb is burned. i know on gms, if the bulb is burned out, it will not complete the charge circuit.

maddenji

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
That was to be my next step, but I'm puzzled about the note on my instrument cluster. I called but the number was always busy. I don't want to screw up anything in my dash panel.
Jim

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had this problem. When I was changing the pedal cluster out doing the zf swap, I had to pull the dash out and I had dislodged the plug in the back of the cluster. While I was in there re-seating the plug, I also changed the bulb.

If you want to double check that this is the problem, put 12v on the red/green wire on the regulator(it goes to the "I" terminal) while the engine is running, and the voltage will jump up if that is the problem.

maddenji

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. Meanwhile, I found this on another website.
CAUTION:
The instrument cluster requires special handling to avoid damaging internal components. The cluster MUST be kept FACE UP or in the in-vehicle position. Leaving the cluster face down may result in a loss of dampening fluid used in the gauges. The lost fluid could stain the cluster face or result in excessive pointer waver.

maddenji

Reaction score
Got back to it this morning. Jumped from the red/green to the green/red wire with a 12v light bulb between. It now charges fine, leading me to believe that it's in the dash panel, either a burnt out light or bad connection. Still have a question about the warning not to remove the dash panel without calling Ford electronic Engineering.I read something about, I believe, a TAPS system that will render the dash panel inoperative if removed.
Any one changed the dash panel or light on a '94 or later Ford?
I'm going to do some more research on_line
Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online