NMB2 dyno

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was trying to be diplomatic and trying not to take sides with my post, but I have to state for the record that IMHO Sean hit the nail squarely on the head.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Every time a thread here is started about his build you are just opening the door for negative comments and "bashing" do to his past history.

Those who care about the build are following it on PSN.......So once again, why bring it over here?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I think it would be best if the build were kept over there and the conversations about here and there not fueled on the other, but that seems to be a difficult task!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can speak for myself that I wanted to share the info with the folks over here who are die-hard OB guys. It's good to have the conventional wisdom questioned. Even if the questioner is wrong, it makes the body of what we know as a collective that much stronger, and who really wants to hang on to ideas that are not correct? As far as NMB2 and his larger than life personality, I don't always agree with his methods, and I've told him so, but I consider him a friend and I will take up for him when people kick him and he has no chance to respond. For example, he and I discussed the issue of the dyno graph that was allegedly doctored. Justin invites WMOguy or anyone to dig up the post where he admitted to doctoring the graph. He unequivocally denies it. He also offers to mail the original dyno graph to WMOguy for his inspection if he gives him a snailmail address, if he still believes the graph was altered.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No he has a dyno sheet w/ a HP # and then a carefully traced in torque line that he passed off as if it came from the dyno. It wasn't until the lies began to fall apart did he reveal that to be what happened.. I hold no ill will against the guys past; however lets keep the facts honest.

I'm not trying to start anything but I'm sure if you ask Justin he would give you his dyno sheet. And as for the dyno, his results were actually very similar to yours. U know? His read at 190hp/558tq and yours read at 189hp/526tq. Those are pretty similar results which were both on a Mustang dyno. But his was also at a lil lower elevation with the exact same mods. Idk but its just an observation. He was never deceitful. Justin just did the calculations of how he thought it was supposed to be at the rpm torque peaked at...

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dyno Jet has always given a higher HP number and TRQ readouts than a MUSTANGDYNO.
The MUSTANG accounts wind speed and other factors to give a truer wheel speed.

From what I read here I see some one has it backwards.

A better way to prove the real output at the tires is a real 1/8 mile run with the ET/MPH and the actual weight of the truck/

My truck weighs in @ 5800lbs 10.533s in the 1/8 at 64.54 mph running 2.3 60 ft times

Your HP computed from your vehicle ET is 249.04 flywheel HP and 224.13 rear wheel HP.
Your HP computed from your vehicle MPH is 252.23 flywheel HP and 227.01 rear wheel HP

The Track is always the truth detector :backoff

Javier

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start anything but I'm sure if you ask Justin he would give you his dyno sheet. And as for the dyno, his results were actually very similar to yours. U know? His read at 190hp/558tq and yours read at 189hp/526tq. Those are pretty similar results which were both on a Mustang dyno. But his was also at a lil lower elevation with the exact same mods. Idk but its just an observation. He was never deceitful. Justin just did the calculations of how he thought it was supposed to be at the rpm torque peaked at...

TO4Z vs 093

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
The main thing that needs to be pointed out in this thread is that you're not going to spend a weekend working on your truck, and have 300 RWHP to show for it, from what I understand (I don't follow it, PSN wouldn't let me start an account) he put a lot of work into this build, and if he didn't have good connections it would have cost a lot more.

^^Just to keep this down to earth so that future comers to this thread don't think IDIs are like the cummins with there aftermarket support.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that regard you're absolutely correct rjjp. This would cost someone with less stellar fabrication skills a lot more, and getting the fuel you need for this setup is not easy either. NMB2 and a couple of others have gone with DPS and Ken's version of a DB4 in a DB2 shell. I really haven't had too much trouble with Ken other than just having to fight a lot harder for what is mine than I feel I should, but the fact remains that there are a ton of shops that could give you the fuel you need on a 6bt or 4bt. Who knows, eventually I think Mel and his guy and potentially other Stanadyne pump builders would make custom DB4s if there was money to be made in the 6.9/7.3 performance market. It will always be more niche than the 6bt/ PSD/Duramax. That having been said, what NMB2 did is a huge accomplishment. Others will follow in his footsteps here and at PSN and elsewhere. I feel that he will make much more than 300 HP eventually with the same hard parts and turbo setup as he has now, if not with the same fuel setup.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
...Others will follow in his footsteps here and at PSN and elsewhere....

I have my own plan of attack, just need to keep on saving.

ON EDIT:
I can tell you that my plan is similar to TDT, but the heliarc and some pipe are involved aswell.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
That $5000 also included rebuilding the engine. How far are you going to get rebuilding another diesel for that?

Excuse me, but I would like to say a few things.

I think NMB2 did a great job with his build, it certainly is something that is outside the box compared to other builds I've seen. Certainly have to give him kudos on the fabrication skill that went into it too. Personally, his attitude and boasting were the only things that drew negativity from me... However, recently it seems like he has taken it down a few notches which I think will benefit him in the long run.

Now with that said... You have to take into account what others in this thread have already pointed out concerning that $5000 mark you mentioned. Not only did he have a few friends doing favors, plus his own countless hours of fabrication, he also obtained some of the high dollar components for once in a lifetime bargains. For example, the turbo alone retails easily for $1200+ but he picked it up at a cost of only $100. Also, I'm betting he wasn't exactly paying top dollar for the injection components either.

With that in mind, yourself and others thinking you can replicate his build for the same price need to be served up a tall glass of reality. Could you repeat his build? Very likely, if you had the time. Could you do it for the same price? With so many variables, your chances are about equal with playing the lottery. I think that is what some of the senior members were getting at when people starting turning up with aspirations of pulling off a similar NMB2 build. Hell, Justin said it himself that he had a budget of $10k for a reason...

After his most recent posts on PSN, it appears he is already looking to upgrade his injection pump again. Perhaps people will start to realize that the dust is far from settling with his build before they start pricing their own... This isn't a bashing post by any means, these are just my thoughts after following his entire build and pricing my own build along the way. I came to the conclusion long ago that I would be paying double what my old truck is worth to get it in the same neighborhood as NMB2, so I moved on.

Should that hold you back from your own build? Hell, if you want an IDI golf cart, more power to ya. Its the idea that you are gonna have to pay to play no matter what platform you build on. But the idea that you can do it on the cheap side is but a fantasy.

Last edited: