NMB2 breaks 350/675 mark...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He makes his own. Similar to the stage 1s but the ones he made have a higher pop pressure.

Beads 93 idi

Brads 93 idi
Reaction score
i would love to try and do what racins has done with my spare motor just to have the extra power and not be driving a fresher **** around

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just goes to show us...what a lil bit of...well no...A LOT of hard work and good amount of many can produce. All in all they have broke new ground with some out of the box approaches to IDI engine building. All I can say is I hope to have something like this one day too! I'll be working on determining whats required to get my stock turbo 7.3 into this realm!

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest upgrade is in your turbo set up and IP, the cam has to give some gain to when matched with proper bolt ons. 6.5's are making near 300 hp and only have a better turbo and stock IP with the fuel up 1/4 turn. Mine is the same set up with 1/2 turn and bigger turbo but i havent hit a dyno, I'm not happy with my bottom end torque and am playing with timing.

Center mount VVT turbos on 6.5's have given above stock Dmax performance (maybe LB7 with 50HP tune) these are just mainly experimental but its a sign that stock turbo set ups on these old idi's are hold us back (look at nmb2's and tell me otherwise)

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tanman, you are mostly right with the turbo and pump being the biggest upgrades, but its a total package deal. NMB2's engine doesn't just have a pump and turbo strapped on.... this was a very well thought out and executed engine. 99% of the internal modifications were not for power, they were for longevity, consistency, and quality. The result is from what I see in videos, and hear from members that have ridden in the truck first hand... a smooth running, quiet, powerful IDI... unheard of a year ago. This engine is less than 16:1 dynamic compression ratio and starts easier than most stock engines, even in the cold..... it made 2.6rwhp/cc and 5.1rwtq/cc on its last dyno pull with is better than stock efficiency.

I've spent a good time searching the 6.5 forums and the highest dyno'd truck I found was just over 300hp and just over 500tq, on 130cc..... that's significantly lower than NMB2 and Racin'.

The camshaft swap is almost mandatory in these, I'm not sure what your stock cams are like, but the stock IDI cam was designed for N/A and is very poorly suited for turbo chargers. Most of the guys here are around 200/440.... a few of the guys up in Washington have gone over 220/460 on stock pumps and turbo... a lot of it has to do with the user, and tuning.

Racin' posted in a thread on another forum that you could take any healthy 7.3 N/A and with $3,000 have a 300+rwhp/600+rwtq IDI now....it may not be quite as flashy as what NMB2 did to some, but it is now doable for us on a budget.

Beads 93 idi

Brads 93 idi
Reaction score
Well if the cam ain't right to begin with what cam should I look for and where can I get one cause I wana see just how bog of a difference it makes with stock pump and injectors .... I'm already got a cold air intake straight pipe and once I find time to replace my trans I'm gona up grade my exhaust with the 3 in dp I had made with 4 in out the back

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if the cam ain't right to begin with what cam should I look for and where can I get one cause I wana see just how bog of a difference it makes with stock pump and injectors .... I'm already got a cold air intake straight pipe and once I find time to replace my trans I'm gona up grade my exhaust with the 3 in dp I had made with 4 in out the back
Either get a cam from RUSS, aka Type4 here....or Justin AKA NMB2 over at PSN....Russ's cam is a nice one good price, Justins may make a bit more power...somewhere this some dyno sheets floating around with comparisons, Russ makes more low end torque IIRC....but eh...could be wrong here I have a failing memory....what was it I was saying again....Oh ha ya bad memory so it's worse since...what was that I was saying...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RacinNdrummin is about to try a new cam grind that he is going to sell as well. Don't know the specs on it or anything but he plans on putting it in really soon. One thing to note is that the Typ4 cam was originally made for NA engines. It does make good power on boosted engines to though. The reason I say this is because if your engine is NA, it might be the better grind to go with. The other two grinds are for turbo engines.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok. Ya I missed the part where you talked about your downpipe. Lol. The IDI turbo will work well with any of those cams then.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tanman, you are mostly right with the turbo and pump being the biggest upgrades, but its a total package deal. NMB2's engine doesn't just have a pump and turbo strapped on.... this was a very well thought out and executed engine. 99% of the internal modifications were not for power, they were for longevity, consistency, and quality. The result is from what I see in videos, and hear from members that have ridden in the truck first hand... a smooth running, quiet, powerful IDI... unheard of a year ago. This engine is less than 16:1 dynamic compression ratio and starts easier than most stock engines, even in the cold..... it made 2.6rwhp/cc and 5.1rwtq/cc on its last dyno pull with is better than stock efficiency.

I've spent a good time searching the 6.5 forums and the highest dyno'd truck I found was just over 300hp and just over 500tq, on 130cc..... that's significantly lower than NMB2 and Racin'.

The camshaft swap is almost mandatory in these, I'm not sure what your stock cams are like, but the stock IDI cam was designed for N/A and is very poorly suited for turbo chargers. Most of the guys here are around 200/440.... a few of the guys up in Washington have gone over 220/460 on stock pumps and turbo... a lot of it has to do with the user, and tuning.

Racin' posted in a thread on another forum that you could take any healthy 7.3 N/A and with $3,000 have a 300+rwhp/600+rwtq IDI now....it may not be quite as flashy as what NMB2 did to some, but it is now doable for us on a budget.

There is another 6.5 STOCK ENGINE no other mods than a turbo and 1/4 turn on the fuel pump that has ~280hp (dont quote me on the exact number, i dont feel like looking it up). No its not Racin or nmb2's level but he didnt do a full intake and exhaust redesign either.

The guys doing VVT center mount turbos are just playing now and i havent seen any dyno #'s yet but they say they can hang with a dmax.

The 82 short bed that you have numbers for is a drag truck and dyno #'s dont always show what the truck is capable of, IIRC he was running in the 12-13 sec range last i heard (again i didnt look the # up)

The 7.3/6.9 IDI was never designed to run a turbo and neither was the 6.2/6.5. Some how us GM guys got lucky with a slightly better cam for a turbo but we can also see a benefit to a regrind.

Most (if not all) 6.5's with dyno #'s ran a stock cam. We (on another forum) are trying to get some guys together and start testing these engines. None of us go to dynos often.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is amazing what they have achieved on their engines, i hope they last for a long time to come. I saw a few other projects around the net that broke the 220/450 'limits', really neat stuff happening nowadays

Cant make much more power without adding fuel. The old turbos dont put out like new ones, and the cams were all n/a. These problems have been known but many were happy with it running, using bolt on kits, reliability, etc. Or people say i dont wanna spend that much.

On a diesel engine, if you cram more air and fuel in, contain it, you make more power. Camming a stock turbo, stock ip will benefit some but i wouldnt expect miracle power - it is still a good upgrade esp. When combined with more fuel, air later

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is another 6.5 STOCK ENGINE no other mods than a turbo and 1/4 turn on the fuel pump that has ~280hp (dont quote me on the exact number, i dont feel like looking it up). No its not Racin or nmb2's level but he didnt do a full intake and exhaust redesign either.

The guys doing VVT center mount turbos are just playing now and i havent seen any dyno #'s yet but they say they can hang with a dmax.

The 82 short bed that you have numbers for is a drag truck and dyno #'s dont always show what the truck is capable of, IIRC he was running in the 12-13 sec range last i heard (again i didnt look the # up)

The 7.3/6.9 IDI was never designed to run a turbo and neither was the 6.2/6.5. Some how us GM guys got lucky with a slightly better cam for a turbo but we can also see a benefit to a regrind.

Most (if not all) 6.5's with dyno #'s ran a stock cam. We (on another forum) are trying to get some guys together and start testing these engines. None of us go to dynos often.

Yes I remember him now. He is running an ATT turbo with the bigger housing of the two available for that turbo. He dynoed 280/400 with his truck. You can definitely tell that turbo is way more efficient up top but is leaving a bit to be desired down low. The smaller housing would help with that though. And us that short box does have good numbers. I have seen videos on YouTube. I have also seen quite a few with Vgts as well. Seem to make decent power as well with those turbos. Personally I really like vgts. They spool well and make good power.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better output than a new diesel is amazing. For those who have followed the threads on the other forum have either of those two talked about what all they have done or are they all secret squirrel about it still? I need to have that kind of power in my rig. I would rather spend the money on my 6.9 that than a cummins swap, and 6.9 sounds way better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online