any known steering querks for '89 F-350

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, are there any known steering perks for a 1989 F-350?
I had mine already popping it's steering reservoirs lid, and now when driving there's a slight vibration (transmitted by the steering pump I think).
My question includes the tie rod bar (or what is it's english name?)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One quirk with all these 4x4 frontends are the axle u-joints. Even though you are not in 4x4 and the hubs are not locked(nothing is turning) the outer axle u-joints can still freeze up from rust and cause the steering to act funny.

Balljoints can also rust and cause problems.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually when it blows the reservoir cap off then the pump isn't working. I know that if the belt on the power steering breaks and you drive it home, the cap will be popped up when you open the hood.

James

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you changed out your track bar bushings? Mine was so bad, it made a thumping sound. When I changed it my steering wheel was centered when going down the road.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Hello, are there any known steering perks for a 1989 F-350?
I had mine already popping it's steering reservoirs lid, and now when driving there's a slight vibration (transmitted by the steering pump I think).
My question includes the tie rod bar (or what is it's english name?)
2wd or 4wd?

If the pump if sucking air, or lost prime, the foam build-up can push the cap off.

Is the vibration related to road speed?

Steering links (drag link and tie rods) need to be free of play, and greased regularly. Worn ones affect your wheel alignment and cause uneven tire wear and perhaps odd handling; usually not a vibration.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you changed out your track bar bushings? Mine was so bad, it made a thumping sound. When I changed it my steering wheel was centered when going down the road.
you mean those at the wheels? the ones with thread? (I'm sorry, In English I don't know all the parts names.)

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2wd or 4wd?
4WD
If the pump if sucking air, or lost prime, the foam build-up can push the cap off.
Odd? never heard from that?
Is the vibration related to road speed?
No, RPM, so it might be the pump?
Steering links (drag link and tie rods) need to be free of play, and greased regularly. Worn ones affect your wheel alignment and cause uneven tire wear and perhaps odd handling; usually not a vibration.
As I said, I wasn't aware of any play in those, I only noticed that some of the rubber caps were weathered due to the sun. After all it's an extremely low mileage truck.
Then at the inspection they have this hydraulic torture machine for truck steering, and that revealed to the inspector that my steering bars had more play than he was happy with.
so he made a notice that I need to reappear within 2 months to show to him that I have repaired this situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajuka