nitrous is like a HOT chick with an STD, you want to hit it hard but youre afraid to.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
i would like to know how the old tractor pulling guys were building these engines up. i heard they blocks were good for 800 hp before critical failure.

also, i dont see why ya cant get 400 hp outta one of these engines. with an intercooler, right turbo (or pair of turbos) and some crucial planning it can be done and be done realibly.

The IDI design is what is limiting us. I mean, sure you could get 400hp, but you would have to drop compression way down, because you would have to run a bunch of boost because you would be putting in a LOT of fuel. Low compression means hard starts, and most of us dont like hard starts.

If one could design up a set of heads that moved the injector to over top of the piston, I would bet we could get some real good power out of these things fairly easily. Its just how much is a set of DI heads for our IDI's going to cost (lots LOL).

Who here has access to a CAD machine? It would be real cool to see a set of aluminum heads for these things, I'm sure the weight advantage would be well worth it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of tractor pull guys played with IH diesels, including it is rumored the guys who started Hypermax. I wonder if they did more with the old tractor motors and the early DT466 engines though cause the DT is direct injected and hasn't the limitations these IDIs have. Bad thing is that motor is just a good bit bigger than a Cummins or an IDI so making it fit in a 3/4 or 1 ton would be an adventure to say the least. I'd love to see somebody try it but I wouldn't like to be the first!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Maybe the valves could be moved enough for the mechanical injecter to sit between them. Then you need to make sure there isn't much side push on the rockers or the pushrods. Then fabeing up a set of hard lines and valve covers and its done...... Aluminum heads .... I don't know about that...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
...... Aluminum heads .... I don't know about that...

Your probably right, but I would think you could get things more exact. I dont know if you can CAD up a set of heads out of iron could you? I dont honestly know, I've only really seen aluminum heads on a CAD.

It would be an undertaking, but think of the power. Do you suppose you could put 2 injectors in there, on either side of the valves. Then have your injectors spray angled more towards the middle. I suppose I should stop talking now.............:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The really hot setup would be 4 valves per head just like all the other motors are now and.... We could be running the psd pistons.... They are the same bore and pin size as the idi turbo pistons.....:thumbsup:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The really hot setup would be 4 valves per head just like all the other motors are now and.... We could be running the psd pistons.... They are the same bore and pin size as the idi turbo pistons.....:thumbsup:

Then we might as well come up with a way to rig up a DOHC setup. Set it up kinda like the old Ford 427 FE DOHC motor ;Sweet. Now were starting to get a little out there though LOL

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Then we might as well come up with a way to rig up a DOHC setup. Set it up kinda like the old Ford 427 FE DOHC motor ;Sweet. Now were starting to get a little out there though LOL

If we're going that far why not have a set of CSRV heads made? Couldn't be any more expensive! I have wondered for a while how those would improve any of thew big three's diesels. It would be neat to see...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, but if she posts what we all hope she does, I may have to move this thread to the girls girls girls forum. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online