Nissan SD33 Diesel in a 2WD Jeep Cherokee?

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talking to a guy that has a SD33. I'm ready to pull my hair out because i dont have a project vehicle. If plans fall through on the 6.2L Chevy, I may pull the 4.0L out of a cherokee (bad head gasket) and try to get the Nissan SD33 hooked up somehow. I know it would not be a race truck, however would this push the Cherokee decently down the high way? Feasible MPG numbers?

Deib

Reaction score
I put one in a 2 wheel drive chevy pickup. Put an aluminum flatbed on it. It ran okay, a little doggy like you said but ran 32 on the highway and held speed just fine.
Given your weight and wind resistance I would think mid twenties is safe guess.

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SD-33?? Go for 4BT!! I've had several SD-33T s in scouts and they're kind of cool and all cuz they came that way, but I sure wouldn't go out of my way to put one in something else. They only make about 95hp, the injectors need re-tipping every 35-40k miles and they otherwise just kind of primitive. I did a turbine housing swap, pump turn up, pop-off and egr block off, straight pipe, cowl induction and with 3.73s, 31x10.50s I could cruise at 75mph, get 25mpg and had power to pass. Really kind of fun, but short lived. Many better choices for a diesel swap out there. I not saying you should'nt try it.... I now have a scout with a Benz OM 617 TD 5 cyl and OMG, what a difference! I also have a ZUK Sammy with a 1.6 TDI and it has more get up and go BY Far than the old SD 33t! Lots of options out there!!! Don't limit yourself just because it's lying around.....

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lookin for info, I'm from the gasser world. The re-power is for the "truck" in the avetar. I've seen a few EB's w/4BT's and they're just too nose heavy for my "work vehicle" (70% off / 30% on road). The early '80s *** deisels too doggie from what I heard (my orig. idea). A vee dub would hafta B 'turned up' way too much to last beyond a few yrs. I guess I can go to Brazil for the itialian MB but that's kinda expensive (in 1 or 2 yrs of the Liberty). Hercules is very rare in my area (everything over 10 y/o goes straight to the crusher). The SD-33T seemed kinda right but not sure of the fitment issue & U weren't happy w/it. The OM617 MB I'm not familiar w/was that the 240 TDI of the '80s? All steel, no alu? Just missed gettin 1 (again off to the crusher).
Thanks-

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the SD33T in my Scout and like it becasue that is the way it came. I would have to agree with txquigly though, on a swap I would shoot for something else. The SD33T made 101hp from the factory and the non-turbo SD33 made 75hp. I wheel mine in rocks and with 285/75/16's it does ok crawling in low range with 3.55 axle gears and lockers front/rear. I do drive it on the highway some and can hit 65-70 without a lot of trouble bit it likes 50-55 mph better. I'm running the stock turbo and intake with 2.5 " straight pipe out of the turbo for the only power modification. If this engine ever goes I will look for something else becasue of the rebuild prices on the SD33 engines. Just my 2 cents worth though.

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Todd.
Surprised w/the 3.55 gear but again not too familiar w/these diesels.
So that's heavier vehicle than my 10 yrs older bronk (3,300 lbs? but have not put on the custom bumpers yet). The non turbo would be for me just cuz it's another thing to break ($ is short).
How much you figure to rebuild ($1000 prts/$800 in machining)?

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My scout weighs 5K as it sits. Last I heard rebuild price on an SD33 was about $4000. Parts are hard to find and pricey. I think a person could have a mildly built 4BT for that kind of $.

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tanks -
Yes, that's a ton more'n my lill bobtail. Agreed, $4k is over my limit by quite a bit. Both motors R out 4 me (1 6c yl & 4BT as close to 800/1,000 lbs). Like 2 hear more on the Hercules...

KRob

Reaction score
I dont know what the exact weight was....but when i pulled the 390 and replaced it with a 4BT in my 71 F250, i am fairly certain it rides higher now....so it may not be too heavy.

KRob

Reaction score
Also my father had a Scout with a Nissan Diesel and i dont remember it being to great...it got burned up and replaced with a 6cyl cummins gen engine.

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also my father had a Scout with a Nissan Diesel and i dont remember it being to great...it got burned up and replaced with a 6cyl cummins gen engine.

Yeah, KRob, I've heard the same, I don't get it, weren't they 6 cyl? as doggie as the early lill '80s diesels in the Pup, Currier, etc but may B a liter more (musta been the weight to power ratio, still most interested in fuel savings back then?).

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a 3cyl Detroit diesel?
Say more if U can...

the Isuzu was like the nissan & mitsu (I believe ~ 3.5 & 6 cyl?).
I believe there were (just like the *** bikes) sm and lrg displacement models. Small in the chevette, courrier, pup etc. Lrg in the scout II. I wish I could find definitive literature/documentation/site.

I;m new here, we got a guy on the other site who we all go to due to him being in the biz for yrs.... Got anybody like that here?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The 3 cylinder Detroit is a 3-71 3.5L with 113hp.
Also a 4 cylinder 4-71 4.7L with 160hp.

I've seen videos of trucks with the 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online