nippon denso starter

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone here using denso starters? i keep hearing how fast they spin a engine just wondering what your thoughts are.
thanks, gunnie

dualexhaust

Reaction score
I put one in last summer. Sure spins a lot faster than my old original Mitsubishi did ;Sweet. Last winter the truck was really hard to start if it wasn't plugged in. This year no problem. The top bolt is more of a pain, use a 1/4" drive socket, with a 1/4" wobble type extension, to 1/4" X 3/8" adapter and a 3/8" ratchet and you won't have a problem. One more thing, you will need to flatten the end of your positive cable, where it attaches to the starter, because the connection is at a different angle. The starter works like a champ!!

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
I have had 5 starters on my truck, nippon denso lasted the shortest amount of time. In my exp the ND do not like low battery cranking. After reading your other post, it apparently gets cold where you live. I would rather have slower, reliable cranking than how-fast-can-I-move-in-first-gear cranking :D .
James

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I bought a new Denso last year at a diesel electric shop. I had asked for a mitsu ( he had them on the shelf) but he really didn't want to sell me one. he said as long as I keep good batteries in the thing , the denso will spin faster and outlast the mitsu by 2-4 times. he doesn't like to sell the Mitsu's because too many fail and people come back mad. Didn't have to twist my arm, price was the same on either one ( all they do at this place is starters and alternators for diesels , new and rebuilt ). It definitely spins faster . Well see aboult longevity, but I have a stout set of batteries in the thing.

---------Robert

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
See that's the key thing, good batteries. But if you are stuck somewhere, having a non-starter starting problem that involves extended cranking, you might as well start walking. The guy you talked to was probably upset because he had dealt with too many people who replaced the starter in place of the battery because of a slow crank problem. The mitsubishi starter will put up with low batterry power for a long time before dying. Someone buys a new starter, puts it in, will likely have a problem or soon will. The ND locks up in short order though and the guy can say keep good batteries, simply because they are more sensitive.
James

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on having good batteries and good cables or the ND will commit suicide.
once your cranking speed drops, the amp spike goes up and the starter will commit thermonuclear meltdown.
I've run Mitsu's without any problems whatsoever for years. My towtrucks and service trucks see plenty on starter hits daily and only had to change out a starter about every two to three years. Keep in mind, cables are constantly checked and batteries were changed out once a year as PM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7