Newbie with some problems

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post on here but I have been lingering around here doing alot of reading of all the great info. But to my problem, I think that my injection pump is on it's last leg-cuss with 136,000 miles on it. The truck has barely any power and has been running really hot (it ran between 220 and 230) the last time I pulled the trailer. I also noticed that it has been seeping fuel out the bottom of the pump and is wet on the engine. I have been planing on changing the pump and the injectors for almost a year. I sent Mel a PM the other day about the turned up pump he is offering and am most positive I will get one. When I do change the pump and the injectors I plan on adding the ATS turbo housing & downpipe, 99 psd innercooler, 5" exhaust pipe, and US Gear decelerator exhaust brake. I plan on buying new G code injectors on Ebay until Mel offers some HP ones. I would appreciate any replies on what I should do while I have the truck down for a while. It might be a week or so before I have a chance to start on the project, but I will try to take pictures of the whole process to share.
I whould have been in quite a mess if it wasn't for the place, Thanks for all the great info guys (and gals):D :D .
Brandon

Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Sounds like anice truck. 5" exhaust is a little over kill. 4" is all you'll ever need, but it's your truck do what pleases you. I've always been leary of buying parts on e-bay. if you have problems with them it's alot harder to replacements than if you got them from a reputatal retailer. Just my $.02 Welcome to OB glad you started to post.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I know that the 5" exhaust is overkill, but I only have about $150 in it with the connections my brother in-law has, so I thought why not:D :D . The radiator and fan clutch was replaced about 3 years ago so I don't think that's the problem with it running hot. The egt runs between 600-900 while towing(after turbo), and about 10 psi boost. Usually I have to back off the throtle going up a 7% grade with a 3000 pound trailer-cuss. I know that 4 years ago I could drive the 7% grade here @ 55 no problem, but now 40 is pushing it-cuss . I was just wondering if faulty injectors or pump would cause it to run hot? Last week I was fiddling around with the pump timing and I turned the pump both directions with no noticeable change, so I think it's ready to die:dunno :confused: .

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, one things for sure, fooling with the timing can cause the coolant temp to come up, I think that comes from advancing the timing. Its time to send Mel a good core and get that pump.... I know where you can get good "G" code equivalent Delphi injectors online in Altamonte Springs here in Florida, probably at least as cheap as Diesel Care.... new not remanned units. Just google Altamonte Springs diesel shop...good parts for our IDIs. With the Evans coolant I imagine you aren't flirting with cooking the motor at 230, but still that's a little hot..... climbing a hill working hard, 220 would be a good goal to shoot for.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have bumper cut outs? They seem to be highly desireable. I doubt your pump is the cause of your high temps. It's probably too worn out to contribute to the problem. Might be time to get the radiator serviced. I'd throw a new water pump on while your at it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.