Newbie with a 94 F350 New to me

bowhunter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what a wealth of info. THANK YOU ALL!!

I just bought a 94 F350 7.3 IDI Turbo crew cab long bed... been looking for a while.

this truck was the Sheriffs truck and was sold at action to a guy and it has been sitting for @ 3 yrs.

Good news is the body and frame are nearly rust free.. bed has some rot around wheel wells.

with a small shot of starting fluid it popped off with NO smoke or issues. ( not recomended i know) No speedo or dash lights and shifted out of first like a pro street car.

found the blown fuse thatks to this forum and now my dash works. waiting to drive it till i get ALL fluids cleaned up.

Hoping it will start easier owith new filter

My starting list.
Fuel filter ( eventually add electric fuel pump)
drain old diesel out of tanks.
Oil and filter
Tranny and filter
flush radiator.

Any specific recomendations. Motor has 250K on it. was told it was 192K , but for 1800 bucks i guess im ok.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. The fuel will burn fine. No need to drain it. Best idea is to check the voltage on the throttle positioning switch. The TPS is located on the drivers side of the injection pump and has 3 wires going to it. To check voltage you test from the center wire which is green. Use a digital voltmeter because the required voltage is from 0.96 for a soft shift to 1.2 volts for a firmer shift. You will not get a pro stock neck breaking shift at 1.2 either. You must warm up the engine. Have the key on engine off. Thats KOEO. With the voltmeter set from any battery ground to the green wire just start opening the throttle by hand watching the meter. Say it shows 1.1 volts at the idle position. That is ok. Now open the throttle wide open and read the voltage again. It MUST BE BELOW %>) VOLTS. Or the trans computer shuts down from over voltage. The bracket the TPS is on has slotted adjustment areas so you can loosen the bolts and rotate the switch to get more or less voltage. These TPS switches should be replaced every 70,000 miles or there abouts. Hope this helps.

bowhunter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ICANFIXALL. THANKS!! finally got around to checking the TPS
center wire was .91 then went to 1.20 v
wide open throttle bottom wire 4.32 v

looks like im where i need to be?

THANKS