Newbie from South Jersey....wondering if there are any members in my area?

probuilt

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I've been hanging out at a number of diesel sites over the past few months and while some posess a breadth of information about tech specifics, they are often riddled with biased viewpoints of brand loyalties. This site is by far the most comprehensively engaged interweb community out here. Hoping to meet like-minded people who have the same love of diesels as I do...no matter what the brand...a good truck is a running one and they all have their place. So...if some of the vets can point me in a direction where I can find build threads that have succesfully married vintage trucks to more modern chassis I would highly appreciate your input. The whole updated retro truck thing seems to be taking off in my area and was wondering if there are any International d style truck owners who can give me advice on a build I'm interested:I've always admired the IH 1510 series trucks for what they were(15K GVWR megabitches). As very few have survived I am contemplating building a 7.3 International 1310 on a f450 chassis which while not nearly as beefy as the old iron on the 1510...would atleast give me a straight rail design with which to begin. Having been around medium duty class cc trucks most of my career...I've grown very fond of these tightly built packages much as I do the female population of similar breeding. There hasn't been much I've thrown at them over the years that they haven't been able to handle...the trucks that is not the women. After twenty years in the trades I've learned a thing or two about a thing or two...and one of those things seems to recurr often enough. You just can't buy character...its something that has to be built. Over the next year I plan to build a truck to reflect the pride I have in my business. Sort of a tribute to the IHC trucks of days gone by. Not sure which powerplant I'll be using as I share a vast admiration for many of them...More than likely it would befitting to use an International powerplant...like I said they all have their place...what I am sure of is the truck will do duty as a 4x4 hauler/recovery vehicle for our work trucks because 2/3 of the state is pinebarrens.

Rob

Probuilt Renovations LLC.

Picked this little number up a few months ago on CL as the foundation for the build (F Superduty 7.3 idi 5sp- 150k ex tow truck/w 8' plow-$2,500). They are still out there. Currently ISO a 93/94 IDI turbo or 95-97 powerstoke F450 4x4...any truck configuration will do.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Welcome.

We do have some IH builds here, but I'm not sure if they're the same series you're looking for. (I'm not well knowledgeable on the different older IH trucks)

Just get to peeking around, might find something.
Look at the tech/FAQ sections.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

probuilt

Reaction score
Glad to meet you Crawler....can appreciate how far you've advanced your rigs...really interested in the pre-powerstoked factory turboed 7.3. Have question?...I assume International beefed up these motors with all the good stuff...are they simiilar to the powerstroke internals and were they offered as an option after 94...they just seem so hard to find in decent condition as they were only made for the 93/94 model years. I've acquired a new found respect for these patricular IDIs as we have spent a considerable amount of maintenance on most of the powewrstrokes in our stable over the past five years...while great motors...they are pretty expensive to run...hence why I am leaning towards the end model run of the IDIs...thanks in advance for any contribution.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
only real difference between the IDI and the IDIT are the exhaust valves, and wrist pins. but wuth the wrist pins comes rods and pistions also. NA engine has 28mm pins, IDIT has 32mm pins.

probuilt

Reaction score
I'll need to research this engine more but I think the cost to build make it the only logical choice...thanks for the tip on the international build over at binders...that guy did it right...hoping to avoid some of the fabwork by going the cab swap route...dig the dana 80 disc rearend and the MCs they used upfront on some f450s...spendy but a pretty decent axle... I know body mounts, linkages, brakes, clutch, steering are all things to consider with respect to firewall issues...but Brandon's build atleast gives me a starting point. Thanks again for your input

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac