Newbie from Gettysburg PA

Prondeau

Reaction score
7.3 idi Newbie from Gettysburg PA looking for advice

So, here is my first post. Last November I purchased a 94 7.3 IDI E350 ambulance. It had 138K miles when we got it. The hour meter broke so it is really hard to say how much time it spent just idling. Going into it we knew it had a few problems (Transmission) but got it at a pretty good price. The idea is that this will be fixed up to use as a vehicle we take to trade shows and as an onsite workshop. So far, all we have really done is try to make it a reliable runner, haven't gotten to any of the customizing we intend to do. Prior to this purchase I knew nothing about diesel engines.
Here is what has been done so far- The front end has been rebuilt- bearings, tie rods, rotors, ball joints, calipers, brakes, steering stabilizer,and tires. Only thing not changed there was the steering box itself.
The transmission was replaced at a Ford dealership with a re-manufactured E4OD.
Still had a problem with the OD light flashing (but no codes) and the dealership ended up replacing the computer after trying every other sensor.
Also have replaced the serpentine belt, the vacuum pump, the glow plugs, both batteries, the drivers side valve cover gasket, and gave it an oil change. It appears the fuel lift pump, water pump and rear brakes were changed prior to my purchase of it.

The seller told me that after I turned the key I needed to wait until the clicking stopped and then the glow plugs would be ready. I had no idea at the time this meant the glow plugs were actually bad- again, no previous experience with diesels. But I've learned a lot lurking the forums, and with the exception of the transmission, I've done most of the other work myself.

So, now I've gotten to the point where the only thing left to worry about is the engine itself. It has developed (possibly developed, may have been there the whole time and was masked by the failing vacuum pump clatter) a tapping noise. It is very subtle when you first start the engine and the longer it runs, the more distinctive it becomes. Pulled the driver's side valve cover to try to isolate the noise but that didn't really help so changed the gasket and buttoned it back up. Tried loosening the lines to the injectors and although the engine stumbles, I don't really think the sound goes away. A new injection pump and injectors are on order and should be here next week.

I've uploaded a video to YouTube where you can hear the tapping.. depending on what speakers I play it back on, sometimes the tap is very apparent, sometimes it is hidden in the other diesel noise. Looking for thoughts on troubleshooting this engine.

http://youtu.be/1CM65ln7CAE

Another thing that I noticed (and this may just be a diesel engine thing), in 30 years of owning cars, I'm used to turning off the key and the engine sorta winds down to a stop. When you turn the key off on this engine, it feels like it just locks up. Again, that may just be a diesel thing I'm not familiar with, as the starter seems to have no trouble turning it over.
So, that's my story- We are too far into it this to back out now! lol

Thanks!

Pete

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
On my computer, all I hear is what I would expect from an IDI, but I am on a small netbook with a little speaker. I will let other listen and see what they think.

As for just stopping, that is normal for a diesel. A gas engine is 7 or 8 to 1 compression, the IDI is 21 to 1 compression, so when you shut down a diesel they just stop. My 6.0 does the same thing. On some diesels when you shut one down the belt can chirp it stops so fast.

I would recommend reading the Tech articles and familiarize yourself with IDI, and don't be afraid to ask questions, and welcome to oilburners.

Prondeau

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Scott!

thanks for the explanation of the engine stopping, makes sense now that I think about it that way.

Believe me, I've been reading everything I can get my hands on since buying this thing, both online and I believe I have purchased just about every manual Ford ever produced that covers this year. I even have the Ford unfinished vehicle body builders manual.... Not that it really tells me anything, just wanted to have a complete collection.

I have read a few threads in forums, and I've even seen some YouTube videos where the owner is complaining about a similar tapping. Many of those threads and videos have follow up "Me Too" replies, but I've yet to see one where they say, "I had that noise, and this is what it turned out to be"

Best regards,

Pete

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever find the issue on this one? I am tracking down some faint sounds (different than when I first got it).

Thanks,

David