Newbie decision for vehicle

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I will say at this moment I am satisfied with the purchase. Its not the best but it could definitely be worse. Just changed the oil tonight. My goodness I am not use to big boy stuff... The oil filter I used (thanks again Jim_22) was the biggest damn one I have personally ever seen on a light duty vehicle. Also tracked down the bad glow plug to the rear driver side (idk what number). Tomorrow will be the coolant testing and see if It needs a flush.

While underneath everything is in the best shape i can imagine for a old vehicle. Almost as good as my 64 that was lined in tar intentionally new. I need to figure out the best way to clean up key areas like the oil pan and fenders and spray them with something. They only have surface rust right now. Not sure how I feel about spray on liner/rubber. POR 15 works but it is tedious.

O well. Thanks again all.

now to get rid of the other two i have hanging around.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase.
Get the coolant system fixed, whatever is wrong, these engines need to be run HOT 190*F to 200*F. Since you only have 6 miles to work, it's just barely gonna reach that. Cold diesel's generate condensation inside, bad. Use only a Motorcraft or IH t'stat, there kinda special for these engines.

The glow plugs are ZD9, preferably Motorcraft/Beru, Bosch, Wellman are next choices. Search for them ebay, Amazon etc. they shouldn't cost over $10 ea. Ford Dealers want $25. NEVER Champion or Autolite.

Do something with that oil pan, they rust out quickly after the rust starts. A cheap fix is polish it up and spray with bed liner, 4-5 coats.

There is a guy on thedieselstop that's going to pay $6500 for an 85 2wd 6.9L Banks turbo. Told him, you can't fix stupid. Worth maybe $3000, even with all the things done to it.

Last edited:

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody familiar with the wheels on the first truck in IDIoit's post? http://images.craigslist.org/01616_lS4uvNrgy0j_600x450.jpg I bought a set of those for my '85, and the dude didn't know what brand. Look familiar to anyone?

Second one must've been off the road for a LONG time; license plate on it is the one that was in use when we moved out of MI 23 years ago!

There is a guy on thedieselstop that's going to pay $6500 for an 85 2wd 6.9L Banks turbo. Told him, you can't fix stupid. Worth maybe $3000, even with all the things done to it.
Wow, I just read that thread. A StL truck is NOT gonna be rust-free. My '85 is NA, but it's 4x4 manual, and a reman engine, and for a THIRD of what that guy's paying :eek:.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well an overall update. many trips to the local LKQ I have replaced many many things.

Interior trim, heat button, light, ext cargo lamp, $20
locks and ignition all match now $10
door pins/strikers $1
black dash bezel (PO liked to drill holes in everything $6
mirror $5
Both bucket seats $25
carpet under liner$ 15 menards
gear selector cable $60
neutral switch $30
trans pan/oil (imporved shifting significantly) $25
tach sensor (tried use, got new) $60
speed sensor $20?
rear diff oil $25
tcase oil $6
fuel filter $41
one glow plug $10
and a rear chrome bumper on wait. $15

lot of little dinky stuff but it was half off over memorial day so why not.

all thats left is the radiator fluid. I have the fluids just need to decide if I need a new radiator. it seems to leak randomly. Sometimes it builds up on the top lip of the top tank (its the brass/copper kind)

Im getting about 14mpg which seems about right...

what is a normal rpm for regular driving. I looked around and i gathered 1500? sometimes when mine gets warm it seems to do a double shift or something. I still only count 4 gears but like 40 ish it was go up to like 1800 shift and then like drop down again slightly to almost 1 or 900... seems to low and when I give it a little throttle it will just bellow smoke.. ideas?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online