new turbo cooler???

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've read a few times in diff manufacture ads, their turbo will reduce the EGT. How is that??? Is it so much more efficient with the air/exhaust flow???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A turbo forces more air into the cylinders. So this air will cool down the cylinders just that way. I guess its kinda like blowing on something cools it faster.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I can understand that... I just figured more air would be more heat, and higher temps... but that does make sense... thx

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a balance. If you push more air through a turbo than it can efficiently push, then it just superheats the charge air and gains in power and efficiency beyond this point are minimal to nonexistent or even negative in some cases. On most IDI turbos this happens around 12-13 psi without an intercooler. The general rule is for any amount of fuel, you have to have x quantity of air to completely burn it or you wind up burning it in a reduced environment which is where we get our black smoke and very high EGTs from.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the "superheating" you speak of... in the Grand Prix world we have factory superchargers, and if you drop the pulley size to much on stock engine, your Knock sensor starts ******* and retarding the timing, cutting down the fuel. Currently I run a stock turbo. Picked up a good deal from Russ. It only pushes 7psi max, and right now its spending some time with my dad in the 6000ft elevation of Virgina City. Max psi is 5 up there. And on the way up the hill it does get hot. I had to turn down the pump because of the EGT temp. I could hit 1200 eaisly. I posted on here about the crap mileage I get (12-14mpg) so Im getting to think that i am dumping fuel into a cyl. maybe a leaky injector, or bad pump, not sure. only 75k miles on it now. But defective parts come at any mileage, and with its age 1991, who knows. So I have been toying the idea of 2 senarios... 1) get a moose pump & moose or stock rebuilt injectors, new ATS / Banks turbo and intercooler. or 2) drop a cummins in it and get the 500hp I want easily, and improved mileage. Decisions Decisions.