New toy

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I just got back from tulsa - we found a used low rise lift.Its been getting almost impossible to work under cars with my bad hip,this will help a lot ,bad part is it won't lift my truck -but it will make a lot of things easier.We will see what adaptors I can make to maybe lift one end or sumpin. It is used but was very inexpensive (plain ole CHEAP!) :D Were gonna pick it up tomorrow.
Im kinda giddy about it!

Attachments

• low rise lift.jpg
    low rise lift.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 6

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That looks identical to one of mine. Nice units. It's a 6000 lb rated lift. It's pickup most cars except fullsize tanks. Won't lift pickups or vans.

You'll want to pickup some riser blocks so you don't mess up the undercarrage while lifting If you don't have teh spare hundred bucks laying around for teh rubber ones for it, you can cut some out of 4x6 lumber with no splits
THis outfit carries parts, blocks, etc for that thing and just about any other lift out there.

I've had a 10000 pound job laying around for a while now, but I can't install teh thing because it's too blamed heavy for me to move it with my tractor. I need to get a stinkpile of weights for teh front of my tractor to keep it on the ground so I can bring it around front. I barely got the thing off the trailer doing wheelies the whole way :rotflmao

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
By the way, I've tried lifting one end of a truck, and it was one a lot lighter than my battleship, and it was a no go

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Fortunatly I have 2 air bumper jacks that lift my truck around 30 in -both ends at a time. Love them. If I need to get all over under the front end I have some 5 ton jackstands that I place under the frame behind the front wheels ,then I can fine tune by lowering or raising the rear with an air jack. Working on the newer cars was killing me as my health issues were making me seriously considering taking a lot of repairs to the garages. Even getting bent down over the low engines is hard for me. Wife says I'm stubborn -"take the work to someone younger" sure when I'm in a box. :dunno -Lame :Whatever:

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Bill... That looks like it needs some kinda safety lock so it wont suddenly drop on you... what does it have so you will be safe under it... Nice color too... I'll bet the dog catcher is mooning over it right about now....:love::sly

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'd sure like to find a couple of those big air bumper jacks cheap ;Sweet, 'course chances of that are somewhere between slim and none. Those puppies go for some serious cash, but you could lift a loaded semi trailer from the ICC bar with one of those things.

THose mid rise lifts like you got are great for cars. You can do most everything on them, especially if it's a front wheel drive, even rear wheel drive you can do most things if you balance it right. It'll get it up high enough to where you can lay on the creeper comfortably without being cramped up, you can raise it up and down easily and use the lowest notch on the safety to reach without having to bend over so much, and suspension and brake stuff alll done confortably from a chair . You'll love it.

It sucks getting old. Last year or so, I had to finally listen to my wife and send one of my cars out to get a heater blower put in it( talk about swallowing yur pride, having to send out one of teh cars you used to specialize in). One job, I just flat couldnt' do anymore crawling around under a dash for a day and a half. Funny thing was when I went to go take it to one of my old friend's shops, turned out they were all in the same boat and they had all stopped doing that job as well to leave it to the young guys :rotflmao. Finally went to one who had some young fellas working for him and it cost me $800 in labour , not unreasonable for that job, but whew, I don't know how folks can afford to pay someone to keep a vehicle on the road if they don't fix it themself. ( at least the young fella did a great job, he was nervous as heck, I guess the boss told him whose car he was working on LOL

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Bill... That looks like it needs some kinda safety lock so it wont suddenly drop on you... what does it have so you will be safe under it... Nice color too... I'll bet the dog catcher is mooning over it right about now....:love::sly

That bar in front of the ram is a safety catch, it has three stop positions on it

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Yupper the bar is a safety lock.
My old Bishman bumper lift will lift the front of a 30ft Winnebago. I used to be nervous about the footprint on it but I never had a stability problem.
I have plans for how this lift is going to be mounted-Pics Will come down the road when I get that far.I don't want it permanently stuck in the middle of the floor.So I'm going to use the ceiling mount system.:D What is nice is it doesn't need to be bolted to the floor. Its not pretty but its in good working condition.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It is supposed to be bolted down, There is a spec for the concrete anchors on those things and the minimum concrete thickness. I've been through all this on mine. That's the only thing that's kept me from putting in a post lift is not wanting to have to tear up a bunch of concrete and dig way down to pour teh extra footings