New to this

Mp4406

Reaction score
I am new to the green pumps and have a few questions. A little backround first, I put the drivetrain out of a 914x4 in a 78dodge. It's intercooled is this a 91.5? secondly there is no wastgate and a friend of mine said there should be. I dont have guages yet but when the boost hits hang on! Also the pump has a "mopar" tag on it and it seems to spin the engine 3000rpm. Thats calculating by speed. Where can I find out if the pump is stock or not. I want to "crank"it up alittle but It seems to run better than other trucks of the same vintage so I dont know where to start.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Where can I find out if the pump is stock or not. I want to "crank"it up alittle but It seems to run better than other trucks of the same vintage so I dont know where to start.
Welcome to the site. :cheers:
Put a set of gauges in the truck first.
And then set it up on a dyno and let 'er rip.
The dyno will give you a pretty good idea.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
the only real way to find out if its a 91.5-93 Cummins is to get the numbers off the Engine ID tag. Unless u did the swap yourself, and got the IC and motor out of the same truck.
NO the first gens did not have Wastegates. 94 was the first year for factory wastegated turbo's. I dont care what ANYONE tells u. Thats just the way it is/was. :backoff

The engine will spin 3K freely, but not underload when stock. U need a 3200 Gov spring to do that. And with a 3200 Gov spring it'll free rev to almost 4K. And I dunno why the IP would have a Mopar tag on it unless maybe it was a recalled pump truck, and has the replacement pump on it.

It is possible someone has been in the pump before u got the truck. And there are plenty of things u can do to get lots of power out of it too.
First things first gauges, yes I know were beating a dead horse, but its kind of liek a disclaimer. lol

Second clicky here ----> http://dodgeram.org/support_pgs/diesel_ix.htm
Thats your bible, save it. Also keep in mind the "more power" articles are very conservative, substitute 1/4 turns for full turns, except here ---->
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=154086
Also, before u touch that fuel screw, clicky here----> http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=158962 (EVERY first gen cummins owner must know this)
And when your ready for a better turbo, ask away. Turbo decission is based solely on intended use, and modifications. Dont run out and buy a turbo or itmes for the turbo like an exhaust housing with out fully understanding everything about it. Trust me it'll save u money (lots of it)

And some schoolin~
89-91.5 have a smaller turbo, 50 mm compressor housing and an 18.5 CM exhaust housing. commonly reffered to as the "baby" H1C.
91.5-92 have a larger turbo, 55MM compressor, and a 21CM exhaust housing. The large exhaust housing sucks for spool up.
93 has a 55 mm compressor and a 18.5 cm exhaust housing. all years are an H1C holset turbo.
94+ use a 57MM compressor, and a 12cm wastegated exhaust housing. 94-95 designation is WH1C, 96+ designation is HX-35 same turbo with some minor changes.

Thats a lot to type! Feel free to ask questions if u dont understand something fully, thats why were here! ;Sweet

Mp4406

Reaction score
Looking at guages to order, quick question, whitch boost guage should I get? options are 35,60,and100psi.

Mp4406

Reaction score
By the way thanks for the other info, I do appreciate it.