New to the Forum

Puller

Puller
Reaction score
Greetings guys, Great site! I'm from the Thumb area in Mi. I just purchased this truck a few weeks ago for plowing and a beat around truck. 1994 Turbo, 118,000 miles, one owner. Bought it from my wife's uncle. This isn't my first diesel (I've had about 13) but this is my first Ford IDI Turbo so I've been reading a lot. Been changing fluids, cleaning stuff up, doing a little paint on the wheels, u-joints and just going over from top to bottom. It's in good shape but could use a paint job (in the spring).

Couple of questions that have been asked I'm sure but I'll stack a few together. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

What are the best mods to make for increased power (low budget) & what kind of power output will these safely produce (not looking for 400 hp)?

Is re-timing the motor a good idea because it was timed for the old LSD fuel? If so what is the best setting?

My thoughts are to turn the pump up a little, 3" down pipe (does anyone on the site sell one?), 4" muffled exhaust, a custom intake, external boost controller (up the boost 2#'s if safe)

How much boost will a stock motor take safely? Will the stock turbo last if I turn it up a couple of pounds (external boost controller)?

Is there anyone in the Thumb area that can re-time & turn the truck up a little for a fair price (MI)?

Attachments

• Plow Truck.jpg
    Plow Truck.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 66

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I wouldnt take it above 15psi of boost....the stock turbo just isnt efficient past that point. And I wouldnt trust the head gaskets after that (I like to be on the safe side). My truck has new head gaskets and head studs so I feel a little bit more safe past 15psi...but I still dont like being there for extended periods of time. I just run with the wastegate unplugged...I think you can adjust the wastegate up to lower teens boost wise without having to use a boost controller.

Re-timing it is a great idea, as the pump wears it retards the timing. If its the original pump it would probably wake up the hp/tq and free up some MPG's.

Dont forget to add a pyro and boost gauge to your list if your looking to turn it up much...just to keep everything in its safe working limits.

The 2012 IDI ralley will be in Michigan this year...and for sure you can get your truck timed there with proper tools by someone who knows what they are doing. Check out the stickies at the top of the page.

150-175hp and 350ft lbs at the wheels is doable fairly easy with the mods you posted. Not going to be a rocket ship but it will definatly help ;Sweet

Puller

Puller
Reaction score
Not looking for a rocket ship just a little more pep and towing power. I saw the meet, a will try and be there if my schedule allows.

Gonna put the pyro & boost gauge on it this week along with a tranny gauge and if time allows start fabing up a new intake box. Down the road it will get a intercooler. I had two 6.5 IDI that were modded pretty good, if I can get it to run as well as them trucks I will be happy (hopefully with better IP life though).

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! What trans is in it and what gears are in it? If it has 3.55's like mine, doing a 4.10 gear swap will definitely make it tow a lot better and feel peppier. If it has an E4OD, I would suggest doing the torque converter lockup mod so you can manually control when the TC locks and unlocks. It's on my list, just haven't gotten around to it yet. A new set of matched BB code injectors would probably make it feel like a new truck. Also on my list this coming year is an intercooler which is apparently also a HUGE improvement to the truck.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
It has all been covered in many many previous threads, just do some searches. PM Typ4 for one his custom grind camshafts which is in the $200 range or so. Some delphi BB codes, turn the pump up a little. Shorten your wastegate rod. On my factory turbo I cut the rod down and threaded a nut over the one side and then over the other side where I cut to shorten it. 4.10s are good gears if your towing from time to time. Most folks can get away with 3.55s and still tow it just sinks your mpg. You wont be able to tow up a hill gaining speed with heavy loads, lets face it. It is an IDI, it was built to do it day in and day out at its own pace and get it done.

And like I always say. Show us what is under the hood!

Attachments

• smiles.gif
    smiles.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 59

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners and Happy Holidays.:thumbsup: You have a good truck for plowing. I feel the off idle torque of these engines surpasses most, they feel like tractors pushing snow.:sly I will agree that 15psi is a maximum safe number for boost. 15 pounds with the right amount of fuel is going to outrun just about any stock 7.3 powerstroke. Just remember, these things are closer to a tractor than a hotrod.LOL

Your pump probably needs a flat or two, especially if its an older pump. This and a re-time will give you a good seat of the pants improvement. I'm at 8.5deg, some say you can go 9-9.5deg with the new fuel. I don't have my own timing equipment to play with this so 8.5 will do. Best of luck with our new rig, keep us posted, and bring the pics.LOL;Sweet

Puller

Puller
Reaction score
Thought about doing the gears but that's pretty spendy although the 3.55 are less than ideal for just about everything but highway cruising. I thought about changing the front axle out (d50 ttb) this spring for a D60 if I could find one with 4.10's and then change the rear ratio at that time. I don't care for the ttb front ends other than the ride. Mine needs new front springs from carrying a plow even thought it had Timbrens from day one on it.

I don't mind the A04 tranny shift points in mine or the lock up times compared to both my 2000 7.3 auto I had (they drove me insane until they were tuned).

Don't think I'll be putting cams in anytime soon but thanks for the info.

The guy that does my tranny work said he could turn up the pump but I'd rather find someone that's done quite a few of these and re-time it at the same time. I'd be willing to travel a few hours and give a hand along with some cash if someone knows of any guru in Michigan.

What down pipe will fit these? 1995-97 Powerstroke one? If I have to I'll built a custom one out of stainless I have left over from another project but would rather not spend the time.

I put an intercooler on my 95 powerstroke and it was a huge improvement in egt's which was nice when I was pulling my enclosed race trailer. I just took an intercooler out of one of my semi's cause the mounts were cracked and the end tank had a split. The core was good so I might just cut it to the size I need and bend\tig up some new end tanks. Be a cheap intercooler.

Most things that will take a few days will have to wait until after winter as I have plowing contracts that I'm obligated to (not that we have any snow lol).

Thanks guys for help, I will post up some more pics as I putter away at the old girl. Have to finish taken the old pin striping off (3" wide & 17 years old= not fun).

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners and Happy Holidays.:thumbsup: You have a good truck for plowing. I feel the off idle torque of these engines surpasses most, they feel like tractors pushing snow.

I have an 84 6.9 for a plow truck and i love it. we have 6 plow trucks, 3 gm gas, 2 dmaxs, and the 6.9 and i gotta say the 6.9 is impressive. pluss it burns about half the fuel the gassers do and 1/4 what the dmaxs do. you got a real good plow truck

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
you can pickup a whole parts F-350 for the price that one axle will cost you at a junk yard. I did both my ring and pinion swaps, front and rear on the Dana 50 and 10.25 for under $400 that included the ring and pinion kit and master bearing kits. I went to 4.56s but I am towing daily and way more than I should be.

I had an intercooler on my 94 turbo and I did not like it at all, I actually just sold the pipes a few weeks ago.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Last edited:

Puller

Puller
Reaction score
Couple of engine pics after getting it all cleaned up. Re did the battery cables yesterday and that helped the cold starting a lot!

Attachments

• 2012-01-06_14-03-16_68.jpg
    2012-01-06_14-03-16_68.jpg
    720.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 2012-01-06_14-03-25_138.jpg
    2012-01-06_14-03-25_138.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2012-01-06_14-03-35_646.jpg
    2012-01-06_14-03-35_646.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 12

Puller

Puller
Reaction score
Good eye, slowly bringing it back to good condition. Hopefully by the end of the month I will have time to change the brake lines, cause they look a little rough and I figured she'd get new fluid at that time. I got my list made out just need to get these last few race sleds built for ice racing and I'll start messing around with the truck more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online