new to the cummins

hmhorawa

Reaction score
hey just got a 97 extended cab 2 wheel drive dually. just wantin to know a few do it yourself tips. the pump has already been tweeked a lil but the fuel stop plate is still in and the smoke screw hasnt been touched. im all ears just wantin a lil more power.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Take the fuel plate out and grind it to match some of the profiles that are listed here in the forum. You can do it on a bench grinder in a few minutes. The most common to grind is called a 100 plate.

Also has the KDP (Killer Dowel Pin) been taken care of yet? If not I would do some reading on that see about getting that high on my priority list of thing to do.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! A BHAF is a great add-on, I had one on my last 97 Ram, and I will be installing one on my 98. You can also remove the silencer ring in the turbo, it doesnt give you any more power, but it does whistle a lot louder if thats what you like to hear. Grinding your plate is easy, I ground mine down to a #100 profile. If your truck is an auto like mine, be carefull with the go pedal, a #100 plate provides a lot more power than stock, and you can turn you transmission into a box of slop in a hury if your not carefull.

hmhorawa

Reaction score
thanks guys but im still new to this. where can i find instructions i mean i have a buddy who just takes the plate out but is that harder on the engine?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I'll try and put something together today on the KDP and place it as a sticky here in the forum. This is something that comes up quite often and we really should have a sticky with it so that we can just pull it up when needed.

dmanshane

Reaction score
I just installed a dynomite diesel adjustable fuel plate on a 97 it was very easy i am 18 i also removed the turbo silencer and it has a semi air filter highly recomended cheap cold air intake 50 $$ but very loud turbo also straight pipe with 8 inch tip manuel tranny all worth it !!!!

cwj1990

IA-IDIDiesel
Reaction score
Hey. New to this as well. I'm 19 and just bought a 95 Ram 2500 12v with the 5spd. I've worked on diesels before, had an 84 F250 HD with the 6.9, turned pump, injectors, intake, ect. I was wonering how to get to the turbo silencer your talkin about, and what the BHAF is. I plan on the 100 fuel plate, 3k gov spring, and the bosch 370 injectors, with a straight exhaust and aftermarket intake. Thanks for your help

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
To get the turbo silencer take the intake hose off the turbo so that you can see the vanes of the turbo. Now when you look down her throat you will see a shiney ring and that ring is held in place by an internal snap ring but it's not one of the ones with the little holes or rings to make it easy - oh no it's use a small flat blade screw driver and work it out. Now it does NOT add power but will make the turbo sing louder.

BHAF = BIG HONKING AIR FILTER.

See the sticky here in this forum section for the part numbers for the BHAF. It will fit right on the stock intake rubber hose with a hose clamp. Then you just toss the stock air filter and it's housing on the bench - you won't need those unless you go back to stock. I always got my BHAF from Napa for around 70 something bucks. They last a long long time - much longer than a stock filter so in my opinion they are worth it.

cwj1990

IA-IDIDiesel
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the help. Once work slows down again i'll pull her in the shop and get goin on that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online