New to me trailer rims hmmmm ???

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
Lowboy tires and wheels

You gota make sure the rim is seated on the back and tighten the nuts evenly around the wheel, if you get them coocked on there they will wobble. they work ok and they will haul alot of weight but I got rid of my traler with them on cause I couldnt get them ballanced. They were oddsized 14.5 we called them daton wheels (idont know if that is right)cookoo

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Those are Dayton-type wheels, take the nuts off and the lil metal tabs and it will just be a center-less steel wheel , it shouldn't be a 2 piece rim, plus Ive only seen 2 piece on big trucks so it should be straight forward

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think those are split rims, all the split rims i've seen it was the very outer ring piece by the tire bead that split and it doesn't look like it to me. I've seen these on a lot of trailer applications. Friend of mine bought a trailer with these and first thing he did was scrap them for newer stronger axles that did have a funky tire size. Our international 9600 cabover has rims that bolt up similar to that. You put the first rim on then a little ring then the second rim. Then run the bolts up snug and check the rim to see if its straight or if ya need to adjust it again. It's a PITA. Back to the topic though im pretty sure your axles are just cheap trailer axles that around here are worth what scrap yards pay.

Last edited:

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
yes they do use them on a few apps because they will hold more weight than a bud style rim but be warned be sure u set them true and evenly or they will wobble

Oh and jake 2 piece rims are actually pretty much illegal and tire shops will not mess with them due to the fact that so many people has died from 2 piece rims when they basically explode on you

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the name applies to trailer rims but I finally remember what we called them. They are Dayton style rims.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and jake 2 piece rims are actually pretty much illegal and tire shops will not mess with them due to the fact that so many people has died from 2 piece rims when they basically explode on you

Yeah I'm thinking of the rims that have the lock ring. Not sure if they are just called "Lock ring style" or what but a farm i helped haul for had a grain truck that had the lock ring style rims. Also yeah no tire shop will even touch split rims....even with a ten foot pull.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are 14.5 house trailer rims. You can find tires with a killer weight rating for those. Only real issues to them are getting them balanced and getting them centered on the hub.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck tire shop would be your best bet. Most normal shops freak when they see a centerless rim