New tires, truck shudders at 35MPH

dondiesel444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have a big enough air gun to take the wheels off? or use a 3/4" drive breaker bar and a long pipe, and change the tries yourself, just to see if it helps. I think that equal stuff may be causing your problem.

Copper

Reaction score
It takes some miles for those Equal bags to grind up - you might give it some time.

If not, a spin balance should solve it, since it sounds like they're running true.

I've a couple old wrecks with Daytons on the front, and the local shop hates trying to balance 'em(read that - big $$) - I've gone the cheap route and balanced them on the truck by eyeball, and it actually doesn't work too bad. They gave me a handfull of used weights to play with for free, mostly to get rid of me. LOL

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven it a lot today. It seems to be improving, either that or I'm gettin used to it. LOL

Strange thing is, the warmer the tires get and the longer I drive the truck, the greater the frequency of the problem.

Copper

Reaction score
I have an uncle with a Chevy LUV like that - it has about 250-275,000 miles (diesel, of course). He can drive it wide open on a gravel road steering with his elbow, drinking coffee and talking on his cell. Nobody else can keep it on the road on pavement.:D

But in all seriousness - If your tire shop is worth a darn, see if they'll give you a loaner tire/wheel. Maybe try swapping each one out, you can narrow it down to which one it is? Those mystery vibes are hard to sort out - good luck.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the equal bags were still not broken-up or some equal got stuck to the tire mounting grease they use around the inside of the bead before they mount the tires.

I'm gonna be out in it on Friday. Hopefully it will be gone. (fingers crossed)

No good deed goes unpunished. LOL

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really. I'm not sure what's going on. All 6 tires roll straight. I guess I'll be remounting and balancing them someday.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can live with it, sure. it's so sporadic. Sometimes it won't even do it.

It's not that bad, really. I'm just kinda bummed. It takes the pleasure out of buying & enjoying 6 new ****** tires, you know????

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Latest on the tires: Took them in and had all 4 rear tires dismounted, filled with liquid balancer and remounted.

Guy who owns the shop siad the open lug treads will take a little while to wear-in and settle down. The liquid balancer heped out.

Looks like getting some miles on the tires is helping, too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online