NEW STARTER - OMG!

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I've read about it here, but just couldn't imagine what it must be like... Now I know. Just put a new Mitsubishi gear reduction starter on this evening and I can not believe how incredibly fast Henry starts! Between the Baby Moose and a fresh starter, you cycle the plugs, bump the key and he's running- just like that. Forget even trying to hear revolutions, you can't, it's too fast. Life is good again!;Sweet

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
the bendix in my starter was going so i got a new starter, just a flick of the key and VROOM right to life! i wouldn't believe it if i didn't see it! haha

-Jon

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You know a gear reduction starter is BA when you can put it in gear, turn the ignition on, and turn it over and have the truck roll start.

*Do not attempt at home*

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know a gear reduction starter is BA when you can put it in gear, turn the ignition on, and turn it over and have the truck roll start.

*Do not attempt at home*

Haha I did that a few times when I was having trouble disengaging my clutch.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score

*Do not attempt at home*

Yes in deed! -and speaking of roll starting, this morning was the last key start on the old starter... This afternoon after work was a no-go. Good thing I got there a little early and got a good spot in the garage -right at the top of a ramp. I cycled the plugs, put it in reverse and rolled backwards out of my space down the ramp and popped the clutch. Had to leave him running in front of O'Reilly's (watching through the window the whole time) while I picked up the new starter. I read the tech article here first (Thanks Mel!) and true to form, the only difficulty was that *%@#** top bolt.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
sounds real bad but i never put the top bolt back in and i have never had a starter come loose or break.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Leaving out the top bolt cuts down your clamping force by 33%... I couldn't do that and feel safe. True, the top bolt is tuff but a really long extension will work fine but... It needs to be around 3 ft long to clear the motor mount cross member. I use all 3/8 drive rackets and extensions. I use electrical tape on the socket to bolt and socket to extension. That way the bolt is help firmly in the socket till its installed tight. Then just pull back and everything pops off. Usually the side bolt goes in first just to hold the starter in place.... These mistubishi gear reduction starters turn the engine so fast you can't count the revs. this faster turning engine during the start cycle makes much more heat because the air sucked into the cylinders is being compressed faster..... the faster you compress air the hotter it gets. Do you not believe this... Try hand cranking the engine and see if it will start... You can't compress the air in the cylinder fast enough to make any heat... Heat is what ignites the diesel being injected in the precups and cylinder....

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Wow... Leaving out the top bolt cuts down your clamping force by 33%... I couldn't do that and feel safe. True, the top bolt is tuff but a really long extension will work fine but... It needs to be around 3 ft long to clear the motor mount cross member. I use all 3/8 drive rackets and extensions. I use electrical tape on the socket to bolt and socket to extension. That way the bolt is help firmly in the socket till its installed tight. Then just pull back and everything pops off. Usually the side bolt goes in first just to hold the starter in place.... These mistubishi gear reduction starters turn the engine so fast you can't count the revs. this faster turning engine during the start cycle makes much more heat because the air sucked into the cylinders is being compressed faster..... the faster you compress air the hotter it gets. Do you not believe this... Try hand cranking the engine and see if it will start... You can't compress the air in the cylinder fast enough to make any heat... Heat is what ignites the diesel being injected in the precups and cylinder....

3 ft? :eek: i just used a wable extension that was about the length of the starter. worked fine :dunno

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
3 ft? :eek: i just used a wable extension that was about the length of the starter. worked fine :dunno

x2. The first time I did a starter on an idi I went the through the cross member but going back in i used the wobble extension and it was way easier. Even used the air ratchet when i put a new starter on a couple months ago.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Mines easy its just boring Ive done it so many times. Doing the str or the block heater. I wanted to go crazy. 3/8 drive rachet deep well 9/16 and one long and one short extension and boom shes out and right back in. One of these days I will spring for for the nipo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online