New Radiator

bigrigdom

Reaction score
okay I just ordered a new aluminum radiator. I have been searching old posts for the last hour and cant seem to find the info that I need. sorry in advance if this info has already been posted(im sure it has). I believe I have read on here somewhere that you need different coolant if you have an aluminum radiator. does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of coolant I can use? can I add the SCA to this type of coolant? Are there any other special instructions or precautions that I should know about. The rad is supposed to be in tomorrow so I hope to install it this weekend but I need to get some coolant first. any and all help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
Dom

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for antifreeze, NAPA (Part number NAF 1GAL) coolant is good 'ol green ethylene glycol and is low silicate. Shoud be able to get it at any NAPA.

I've read that DCA4 (like Fleetguard) is not to be used with aluminum radiators. Why? I don't know. Apparently, you need to used DCA2 (like Napa).

I wish I knew more info or had a better explaination as to why no DCA4 with aluminium, but someone commented that the aluminum acts like silica or has silica and will form deposits with the DCA4.:dunno

Hopefully somebody will have a better explaination and post it.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had to find out more information on the subject and began looking. The infomation that I read (in an older post) was incorrect. DCA4 is fine and is supposed to be better for protecting agaist corrosion with aluminium coolant components than DCA2.

More on that
HERE

AND HERE

Sorry for the confusion. I hope that helps.

Heath

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Evans works great in aluminum rads and has the plusses of not needing SCAs, and no corrosion in the block, can't rust with no water. That 375 deg boiling point is nice insurance. Only drawback is the roughly $300 it takes to fill the thing :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online