New Radiator in!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I installed the Advance Auto radiator (new hoses too)...even with plastic tanks gotta say I was impressed with the build quality, its lighter weight and it dropped right it.
Looking inside the coolant-flow passages are huge!
If I had to point a finger at it, I believe the filler neck is a little too tall as my OE radiator cap actually left an impression in the 'under the hood insulator blanket'.
Also...the drain plug is just that, a plug, no way to attach a hose to the nipple like the OE rads have.
Anyhow...I'll be taking both old brass copper rads from my truck and my Vette to the scrapper for a few $$$ back in my pocket ;Sweet

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now you know the unspoken rules around here MR! no pics,it's all a big FIB! hahaha.
congrats man.hope she works out good for ya.merry Christmas to you and yours.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well besides the fact of it being aluminum. It's probably lighter because the core is half the thickness. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well besides the fact of it being aluminum. It's probably lighter because the core is half the thickness. Lol

1/2 the thickness true, so was the aluminum replacement that went in my Corvette...on the hottest day running the AC the coolant temp never got close to what it did with the brass copper. That's a plus for efficiency ;Sweet

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now you know the unspoken rules around here MR! no pics,it's all a big FIB! hahaha.
congrats man.hope she works out good for ya.merry Christmas to you and yours.
Thanks, I almost took a couple pics unboxong...but just had to keep my old ass working!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm not saying it won't work, but of course a new radiator will work better than a old crudded up one.

But I bet the vet doesn't run as hot as a idi. And those two were probably the same core thickness. Apples to oranges.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying it won't work, but of course a new radiator will work better than a old crudded up one.

But I bet the vet doesn't run as hot as a idi. And those two were probably the same core thickness. Apples to oranges.

Actually my year Vette and its computer were designed to live at 231...but other Vette owners say heck with that and did mods to get the temps down around 180.
Anyhow, so far so good.

mcghan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an aluminum in my 350 and original in my 250 and they run the same temp according to to factory gauge,bet the aluminum doesnt last 20% of the original,are brass and copper even available anymore?couldnt afford one even if they were available

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts are getting harder to find for these trucks. If your going to scrap the old rads save the tanks. I can't get new ones.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Parts hard to find!!!!! Try finding parts for most any Cord or a Duesenberg. The duesenberg was in very low numbers. Something like 230 of them. Then if you have a supercharged engine they only made something like 35 of them. As always. We in the club can point out probably 45 or 50 supercharged cars....:eek::D Funny how that happens...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could run my diesels at 210*F.

Chris; ran into a web site on Amazon that had all kinds of heater cores, didn't bookmark tho.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are brass and copper even available anymore?couldnt afford one even if they were available
They are still available... for Econoline vans. Which coincidentally is exactly what our truck runs. But, $400 or so last time I checked...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger