New Member/Owner

donn

Reaction score
I brought this home yesterday:

You must be registered for see images attach

1986 F250 Lariat XLT, 6.9L International, 4x2, longbed with 42K miles.

I'm taking her to my wrench this week for state inspections and to give her a full physical, including colonoscopy.

This is my first diesel truck, but I have lots of experience with oilburners in boats, including my current 1955 30' Eldridge-McInnis Sedan Cruiser with twin Nissan SD33's.

Any tips, tricks, books, warnings, suggested upgrades, etc.. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Donn

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board. Nice looking truck 42K WOW. ;Sweet Must have been a garage kept only driven every now an then kinda truck. This board will help you all we can. Ask any question you have.

Depends on what you plan to do with this truck as to what kinda upgrades you want to do. :dunno Your truck should have the 6.9L in it so one thing I know of is the block heater causes cracks around it. I would suggest not using it.

You also live in a good area for physical help from people on this board.

Last edited:

donn

Reaction score
Where the devil is the block heater? The little engine manual says it's standard equipment, and to plug it in in really cold weather, but I can't find it to save my life.

Another question. How do I find out what the "unladen weight" is, for registration. The manufacturer's plate gives Gross vehicle Weight. Is that the same thing?

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The block heater is behind the starter (passenger side)on the block in one of the freeze plug holes. At least thats where it is on the 7.3 . I would think it is in the same place.

Unlaiden weight is what the truck weights without a load or Tare weight. But for registration you may need to use that gross weight. Not sure how NY does theirs. :dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Welcome, you should check out the IDI tech articles, they have a lot of good information. Are you positive it only has 42k miles, because they roll over every 100k miles. Good looking truck though, nice find.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Welcome to the Best place on the net for anything related to everything from a bunch of guys that can, will, or have done anything and everything!!!!:D

And That is one SWEET Truck;Sweet

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome and I'll add my Congrats on a very nice find!! ;Sweet

BJ - you need to get back to work!! Your post count is gonna be up to 10,000 before long!! :eek: :rotflmao

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners!
Nice lookin Truck!! Gotta love those 80-86 Bodystyle trucks!!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup: Nice find! Mind saying what it went for? I can imagine in Long Island a truck like that costing about 8K. Welcome to the site.

donn

Reaction score
Hi Mel..I was just reading your FAQ's and cruising the various links you provide when this post came in. Thanks for all the good information.

I paid $5500 for her, in Connecticut. Blew a rear tire on the Throgs Neck bridge bringing her home, but managed to deal with it. Needless to say, I'm going to abandon the under-bed spare carrier. What a royal PITA!

So she's sitting in the driveway, beside my 1979/80 E250 Quigley, which will be leaving as soon as I find a su..er...buyer.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say you got a good deal, if that thing is as rust free as it looks. ;Sweet

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. That is one beautiful truck! 'Course I'm kinda partial to that color combo (my wife's truck is that color). You've come to the right place for us to help you spend your money.:D

Tom