New member, new truck, new t-stat questions.

WasteOBurner

Reaction score
potter valley, california. mendocino county
Hello. I bought a idi finally, always wanted one. 1983 f350, dually, 4 speed, 4.10 rear. This site, and the users, are very helpful.I will post the obligatory pics later, but right now I am outside, with an iphone. I just completed a complete cooling system rebuild. I replaced the water pump, belts, hoses, heater core, proper "charged" coolant etc. ditched the stock fan, and I am in the middle of the windstar fan mod. I have a million questions in general, but I will keep my first post simple. I just recieved my motorcraft t-stat from rock auto. #1049 It doesn't have the "rubber band" that a lot of you say will fail, I planned on removing it anyway. do any of you perfectionists/a+ pro's have any thoughts on removal of the band? Retaining the band? I just want to cover my bases and do it right. Thanks in advance.http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-RT1049-190F-88C-Thermostat/dp/B000C5FSC8 check the reviews, from an idi fan, at the bottom. all the pictures show a band, mine came without one, but it is the correct part number.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you have a stat without the rubber band you have the wrong one. Take it back. About cutting off the band. Knowing the reason for it may tell you not to do it and doing it may tell you to do it. The band is actually a seal the stops the flow of coolant thru it. That wrinkle in it acts like a dam sealing off the flow thru the metal to metal fit. I found that when the stat is up to 212 degrees the ruber dam in keeping the flow from being all it can be thru the stat opening. So I cut mine off for better flow. doing that allows more copasity but it alow allows for some leak thru too. I can deal with the leak thru. I wanted max flow for the opening. Search the PARTS BIN section for the correct ford part number and get that one. Irs the only unit that works and it opens at 192 degrees and fulling open at 212 degrees. Also welcome to the greatest idi ford forum...

Black dawg

Reaction score
can you post a pic of the stat? You can get an IDENTICAL stat, minus the rubber band, that will work just fine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you can send a picture of it to a cell phone contact me in a pm or anyone else on this board. They may be able to post up the pic for you...:sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online