New jewel has arrived. Promar 7.3.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Gettin' Closer

I'm going to clean and rebuild another oil cooler since they gave my the O-rings in the master gasket kit.;Really Paint and install that. I usually mount the fuel filter assembly and the vaccum pump on the stand as they never got in my way during the install. Motor mounts and I think it will be ready for the hook after that. Trans adapter, flywheel, clutch, install.

Am I missing anything?:cool

I am ashamed of the paint job:puke: I really wanted to protect that clean bare block, that was the main goal.

Attachments

• painted promar.jpg
    painted promar.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 75
  • painted promar 2.jpg
    painted promar 2.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 73

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont use those orings if they are black, they will only last about 20k.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont use that type of fuel line either.it will leak inside 10k miles.
it looks like you got your kit from pensacola diesel.
it's just no good man.
here is a good one:
http://www.amazon.com/Delphi-7135-2...UTF8&coliid=I1OWDSUDRP1LNC&colid=GWSVK841CWH3

after two of those pensacola kits.im finally leak free with the Delphi!
the Delphi install kit uses the black O-rings (toss those for some Vitons)
but comes with good grade goodyear fuel line.

your paint looks ok.but it came out a little pinkish.what happened?
tinted clear coat i guess?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
icanfixall;565294 Don't ever use a cork or rubber pan gasket... they will leak on you for sure.... Even the factory never used them. they used rtv... Why a gasket supplier sells something we don't use nor need is way beyond my thoughts.... Other than its a sourse of revenue to them....:dunno[/QUOTE said:
Thanks for the heads up Gary;Sweet Too bad I already learned this the hard way:rolleyes:

I wound up painting the engine mounts, fuel filter bracket and the exhaust mainfolds so they will wait till tomorrow for the install. Somehow I feel the painting of the manifolds was a waste of time. Guess I couldn't help myself.cookoo

The jewel should be in its jewelery box soon:sly:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heres something about the crank bolts. The torque is 47 lbs no matter what trans you have and most important thing is seal the threads. Use almost anything to seal those bolts or the engine oil will leak out past them and ruin the clutch. Those threaded holes in the crank flange go al the way thru into the oily side of the bottom end. Test fit the bolts before you try to tighten them up. When I changed flexplates I needed a special 1.108 thick spacer. Well I got one from BTS that was made about 1/4 inch too thin. I had never seen or knew anything about them so I tried to attach it and the new flexplate to the crank. I tightened up three of the bolts but there was still a gap between the crank flange and the plate... ***... So after some calls I figured out the spacer was made wrong by the shop BTS deals with...-cuss So I tried to back out the bolts that felt tight... Nope... turns out they went thru the flange and bottomed out on the chamfer of the rear main bearing rolling the first thread.... No I'm really mad... I worked them out easily turning and turning hoping I didn't pull the threads out of the crank.... I got them out but the bolt threads were damaged. I chased the threads but still bad so I ground off the last thread... No more problems. Some members here had the needed spacer so I bought three of them.... Just in case down the line someone needs one.... Ford no longer makes them... I did a nationwide search for just one... Nope.... Even AAMCO couldn't get me one... Now all the shops that rebuild these idi blocks must have a huge pile of them somewhere... Sometimes we have some members that really don't see the thin line between the crank flange and the spacer. Then they try to install a flywheel or flexplate and it wont fit... Gees... thats an easy fix. Just a hammer tap and it falls off.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Goose, try not to break it this time, eh? :rotflmao

Seriously, if this one goes, then we know there's no *&%$&^$ justice in this world - you're due!

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I'm going to clean and rebuild another oil cooler since they gave my the O-rings in the master gasket kit.;Really Paint and install that. I usually mount the fuel filter assembly and the vaccum pump on the stand as they never got in my way during the install. Motor mounts and I think it will be ready for the hook after that. Trans adapter, flywheel, clutch, install.

Am I missing anything?:cool

I am ashamed of the paint job:puke: I really wanted to protect that clean bare block, that was the main goal.

Damn, got yourself a pink engine :rotflmao:eek:

I like your story of how you were just "protecting" the bare block and just "happened" to have pink paint laying around..., lol

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Thanks for the support ;Sweetand humor :rolleyes:guys. Another late night. I had no help to hoist engine so I kept busy doing odds and ends. I extended my GP harness to relocate it, never liked the strain it put on the harness when put on the rocker cover anyway. Installed manifolds, fuel filter, turbo pedestal, engine harness, moter mounts, mocked up the turbo to check clearances of lines and wires, and a few other things I am sure I forgot about by now.

I started the afternoon by building up the male part of the steering shaft with weld and grinding it down untill it fit in the female side snugly.;ReallyLOL I was sick of the 20 some degrees of steering wheel play and do not have the dough for a Borgeson unit right now.:rolleyes: I also had to finish putting my $30 1971 Craftsman air compressor back together. The pressure shut off valve burst and I had to get one from Grainger, of course this required re plumbing the whole thing, just what I need to be doing less than 2 weeks before the rally.:rolleyes:

I'm dirty, tired and have to prep tomorrows lunch, shower and get some shut eye:angel: 5:00am comes earlyLOL Here are some pics of my progress:

Attachments

• gp relay harness.jpg
    gp relay harness.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 29
  • harness routing.jpg
    harness routing.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Promar engine assembly.jpg
    Promar engine assembly.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 32
  • turbo mock up.jpg
    turbo mock up.jpg