7.3 IDI Block

itmmik

Reaction score
best way to sleeve 7.3 id block? looking at rebuilt long block promar any good
who would be best to do it rear 2 cylinders' not good one looks
like a crack after ball hone can feel it 89 f350 nice clean truck new trans rebuild

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My $0.02. Find a local machine shop (there isn't many left, so support the ones that are still in business), and bring the block there. You are probably looking at $80 to $125 per hole to sleeve, $10 to $15 per hole for a final bore and hone.

I have no experience with ProMar.

Last edited:

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also check your local options. If that does not checkout then try to find a good running used 7.3 to drop in.
Finally I would give Promar a shot.
I had several issues with Promar but all is well for now.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
A cracked cylinder can be sleeved IF it's not a big crack and it's not too close to the top or bottom of the cylinder. Just so you know, if you buy one from a company such as Promar, you probably won't get any core credit for a block with a cracked cylinder. They will probably also sleeve it and resell it if they can at all. I could be wrong on that, but it's a good possibility.
Helpful hint: good punctuation is VERY appreciated here!

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cracked cylinder can be sleeved IF it's not a big crack and it's not too close to the top or bottom of the cylinder. Just so you know, if you buy one from a company such as Promar, you probably won't get any core credit for a block with a cracked cylinder. They will probably also sleeve it and resell it if they can at all. I could be wrong on that, but it's a good possibility.
Helpful hint: good punctuation is VERY appreciated here!
Agreed and to add confirmation, Promar is “local” to me and I have spoken to them about this. All 7.3 IDIs get sleeved. They will take the core aslong as the crack is in the middle of the cylinder. You can also trade up + fee between the NA core block and the IDIT.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed and to add confirmation, Promar is “local” to me and I have spoken to them about this. All 7.3 IDIs get sleeved. They will take the core aslong as the crack is in the middle of the cylinder. You can also trade up + fee between the NA core block and the IDIT.

All 7.3 IDIs get sleeved? Interesting, to say the least.

FYI - the IDI-T block is the same as the NA block. If you're referring to the short block that makes sense, since the rotating assembly is different.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 7.3 IDIs get sleeved? Interesting, to say the least.

FYI - the IDI-T block is the same as the NA block. If you're referring to the short block that makes sense, since the rotating assembly is different.
Correct and I am aware of the blocks and the differences. I was referring to it in that sentence as a long block because promar only sells it as a long block and the core for trade in must be assembled to long block

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online