New IDI Aquisition

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone had a bead on where I can find a white brick nose front clip let me know. I live in south Louisiana.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell you what. Buy the truck, and wait a month or two.

It may well grow on you. Yes the bricknoses are cool - I have like 4 of them - but my OBS grew on me. And the lights are much better, mainly because you can buy a whole new set of lenses and bucket for $40 shipped.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell you what. Buy the truck, and wait a month or two.

It may well grow on you. Yes the bricknoses are cool - I have like 4 of them - but my OBS grew on me. And the lights are much better, mainly because you can buy a whole new set of lenses and bucket for $40 shipped.
Really? I wasn't aware of that, mind telling me the supplier?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read ya. I would hate to betray my first love (brick nose) but I understand your point.

Just as an aside, where would y’all source a rebuilt Idi engine? This truck possibly has a “bad” engine. A ford dealer told the owner it needed replaced so I’m not sure what’s really wrong with it. I was just curious where y’all would get a rebuild. Where would you trust.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just as an aside, where would y’all source a rebuilt Idi engine? This truck possibly has a “bad” engine. A ford dealer told the owner it needed replaced so I’m not sure what’s really wrong with it. I was just curious where y’all would get a rebuild. Where would you trust.
A lot of us rebuild our own. Of course not everybody has that kind of mechanical skills. I'm not making fun of anyone with this. I can understand and it's fine. From what I understand, Jasper has issues. Try looking at the stickies at the top of the home page to see who not to trust. Another thing, I'd be curious to know what, exactly, is so wrong with the engine that Ford says that it's bad. It could be, but if it was me, I'd find out for sure.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have issues, gee thanks....
Conestoga can set you up. I believe Wes can now as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
How do you feel about getting called out there jasper?

R&D idi is doing crate engines as well now. I can build you an engine from mild to wild, all with the same warranty. I have been building engines for local guys for a long time, and have recently started offering crate engines. It’s not cheap, and I have a waiting list, but it is an option if you can’t trust the engine you have.

That being said, these engines typically don’t have severe issues without being obvious. You will see metal shavings throughout the oil, be burning tons of oil, or have loud chuffing valves. Most knocks are fuel related and not bottom end.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read ya. I would hate to betray my first love (brick nose) but I understand your point.

I Would test and run it first. I don't trust most anyone else's diagnosis for these engines. I've gotten plenty of them running.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back on the front clip swap, another advantage of the OBS sheet metal / grille design is ease of intercooler installation. While it can be done with a brick, it's far easier with OBS and factory parts are available from powerstroke powered trucks.
Another potential issue, (if memory serves), isn't there a slight difference between brick & obs on the front frame rails where bumper attaches???

Regarding rebuilt engine, definitely buy from one of the guys who eat, sleep, and drink IDI's, they know these engines inside & out and won't steer you wrong!

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely want to get a rebuild done by someone who knows these engines inside and out. No sense in trying to explain some stuff to a normal engine rebuilder. IDIs are special especially if you want to upgrade them. So I appreciate yalls input.

Also, I was a diesel mechanic in indiana for 10 years so I know my way around engines but since moving down to Louisiana I have more money than time it seems. ThAt is to say I have slightly more money than time with shutdowns and turnarounds so I may have to resort to having someone do the work for me. (Which sucks)

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I definitely get what you mean about making my own diagnosis. Even though it’s a Ford dealer, if they don’t have A lot of IDI experience they could easily mistake something minor for something major.