New here, with a tranny question

Brush 6

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I've got a tranny question. I've got an 86 F-350 2WD with a 6.9L Diesel. A PO swapped the original 4 speed for a ZF5 5 speed tranny from a 93 truck. I'm looking to convert it to 4x4, but am wondering what T case I can put on it. The speedometer doesn't work because it is mechanical and the tranny doesn't have a port for the cable. I'm either going to find a tranny/T case combo or find a T case and get the parts to make it work on the tranny. What T case should I look for that has a port for the speedo? Also,what does the year and make have to be to work on the ZF5?

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To convert to a 4X4, your essentially going to need a new ZF-5. Converting a 2WD trans to a 4WD trans is more trouble than it's worth. Once you get your trans swapped, and mount a BW-1345 or BW-1356 behind it, you will have a spot in the transfer case to put a speedometer gear.

Brush 6

Reaction score
So it's more trouble than it's worth? It's going to need new bearings and seals anyway. In this case, I have to have at least a T case installed in order to drive my truck on the road. Last thing I need is to get in trouble with the law because my GPS screwed up. Does it matter what kind and what year and what kind of T case I can use? Will a T case that came off a 4 speed fit on the 5 speed?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.