New Here and need some help on fuel injection pump numbers

Dadbrun

Reaction score
I have a 1997 2500 club cab w\auto transmission.Long story short my truck is at cummins right now because it quit on me.At first they said it was the lift pump which they replaced and now they say it is the injection pump which is very pricey.I am trying to possibly buy a reman unit for quite a bit less but do not have the cummins numbers to cross them over and make sur I am buying the right pump.I suspect that the lift pump went and got the injection pump as a result.Thanks for any input.This is a real neat sight by the way as well with a lot of useful info.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
There's a place online to buy a pump for a decent price, but I cant remember what the name was. You could also call Piers (PDR), they have stock to wildly tuned pumps. If anyone asks for the application, tell them it's a manual trans, that way you'll get a better (215hp)pump.

Dadbrun

Reaction score
Yea,I have already thought I might get the manual trans pump instead of the 180 hp auto pump but I wanted to be sure that it would fit.I am pretty sure that it is the same pump just tuned a little hotter.I have a call into a friend who used to work for Cummins to make sure that it will work.I have found Reman pumps online for $895 which is a whole better than the $2682 Cummins quoted me on a new one.

rubberfish

Reaction score
This lift pump taking out the injector pump
is typical with a 24Valve, not your 12Valve.

If you buy a 215 pump from someone
they'll want a 215 pump back as a core.

I think I'd shy away from an internet pump
off of flea bay for $800-$1000.
If it's not to your liking for whatever reason
you can't just shove it back into the computer
for a refund.

Back to this lift taking out the pump story.
Ask lots of questions, and make sure everbody
knows whats going on before you start spending.

And, welcome to the site. :cheers:

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, sounds a little off to me, i havent seen many...if any...12v i/p's going out. i'd be seeking second opinions. i have seen the timing gear slip on the i/p shaft and cause running problems...even to the point i had to install a new camshaft in a 12v because the gear slipped..timing got way off mark and it hydrolocked the engine, breaking the camshaft and bending every pushrod.

stacerbob

Borderline Genius
Reaction score
We had a 98 in the shop a while back. It would sit for a few days, when you'd start up it would go about 300 yards & die, no start. Pressure the tank & it would fire right up & run fine. He finally brought it in to see about it & it had no fuel pressure & very little volume, ran fine when it was running & still has the factory pump on it now. That was about 6 months ago.
the number of the pump you want is a 215hp pump, Bosch part # 0 402 736 913 Recomendation from Piers :thumbsup:

Dadbrun

Reaction score
Just to update you guys.I ordered a pump online and got it shipped in and Cummins installed it and ran it on the dyno and it is putting 170 hp to the rear whells which means the pump is a little stronger than a standard 180 pump,but not a 215 pump.200 hp the way I calculate it.The truck runs smoother and stronger than it ran from the factory.So I ma pretty satisfied.A buddy of mine who turns wrenchs for the local power company(Duke Energy) told me that oftentimes when the lift pump starts to go it will get the injection pump because the fuel is what lubricates the pump.Mine was an intermittent problem to begin with so I am wondering if those times when it starving for fuel and the pump was still turning if that's what happened.He says they always change the lift pump and injection pump as a rule.It doesn't really matter but I am still curious.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Dadbrun said:
a little stronger than a standard 180 pump,but not a 215 pump.200 hp the way I calculate it.
The same pump, but the fuel plate a tad
more forward than the last pump????
Just a thought......
Glad to here it's good to go. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online