new harmonic balancer?

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am working on putting the engine back together after a total rebuild. Should I get a new harmonic balancer or put the old one back on? I read somewhere that they can wear out. Thanks all.

Paul B

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wear out? How does a chunk of steel wear out?

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some harmonic balancers are filled with fluid to counter the torsional forces.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wear out? How does a chunk of steel wear out?
mel-
the steel doesn't but the rubber strip sandwiched by the hub and outer ring does. I've haven't heard consistent reports on the IH idi having rubber ring failures compared to chevy 6.5's which are very frequent. To answer the first question, replace only if the rubber shows sings of excessive drying and embrittled. Do mark the hub and outer ring like how you mark a Ip to housing but this is done to indicate outer ring movement which is the result of the failure of the rubber ring. I usually will check if there is a vibration issue or when I'm changing belts.

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a pretty bad wobble going on down there somewhere before she blew. i will check this rubber ring tonight. Thanks for the replies!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'll add this to what towcat posted. When the rubber starts slipping then the timing marks will move. This makes a really big mess plus the balance is off too. My 79 chevy 454 just after a complete rebuild and balance slipped. It started to vibrate and the balance was lost. Had to replace it and that sure made some smoke comen out of my ears..-cuss

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online