New guy w/ some IP Q's

Pure Insanity

Reaction score
OOOOOK, update. Im really needing some help here.

I advanced the IP and the smoke was quite a bit less and the throttle response was great, but it still grey smoked quite a bit at idle. I cranked it IP around a bit more, total from factory mark is about a nickles width. Smoked less again and even better throttle response, but still too much smoke at idle.

SO, I adj the fuel press down 2 flats. That looked better, but, yep still smoking too much. At this point I got a bit greedy and took out 2 more flats. OOPS too much, it wouldnt even start so I put 1 flat back into it and it fired off. Throttle response isnt nearly what it was. For the record Im now 3 flats back from where I started and Im actually kinda nervous that I may have it too far back, but it still smells rich.

STILL smoking too much for my liking to drive it. OH and its not really black smoking when I rev it, its a REAL dark grey.

I havent touched the torque screw yet. Should I back it out some? Do I need to crank the IP around some more? Im at the point where Ill have to crack the lines to adv it any more.

This thing was a total mess when I got it but it ran great. Im starting to think the prev owner just adjusted everything till he got it running good no matter how bad it smoked and its so far out Im not sure I know where to go from here.

HEEEEELP!! :eek:

Pure Insanity

Reaction score
Oh yeah and I have taken care of all but 1 leaky return line hose. Its the one under the glow plug relay and I just havent removed it yet to fix that leak.

Pure Insanity

Reaction score
I just watched the torque screw video again (its quiet in the house and I could hear it) and correct me if Im wrong but the further in the center bolt in the more fuel its pushing??? The head of mine is WAY deep inside the nut and not sticking out at all as the one in the video showed. Could I be onto something here?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Torque screw; out is more and in is less, but I wouldn't put it in any more.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your still looking for a Ferret timer, look here. tooldiscounter.com $191.35 shipped. Got mine yesterday.

Why can't you back off the fuel supply under the triangle cover on the side of the IP?

Pure Insanity

Reaction score
The Ferret is what Id like to get. Ive been trying to work w/ the tool trucks that come by the shop, but theyre 100+ more. Ill have to order one in a few weeks from discount tool.

I have turned down the fuel on the side of the pump to the point where it wouldnt start.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Until you get that Ferret and time the thing , you are basically ******* in the dark. You have no real way of knowing what's going on. Best to step back and wait til you get the thing in and get a baseline on the timing, then go from there ;Sweet You aren't going to find a ferret cheaper than tooldiscounter. They have consistantly had the lowest price on those things over the last couple of years

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
If your truck has a turbo, that screw should be about 1/2" out from that jam nut, factory N/A trucks were flush with the jam nut. I did a buncha research and we had a HUGE debate on here about it before I made that video lol

Pure Insanity

Reaction score
RLDSL, I agree fully on needing the Ferret. Ive been working w/ the local tool guys to get one but so far it just hasnt happened. Im willing to pay a few bucks more to buy local and help keep the guys that come around to us in business but 100+ I just cant swallow. Ill be ordering the one thru discount tool as soon as I can.

Goofy, thats what I was wondering about. Mine is buried down into the jamb nut. Is that pushing even more fuel to it or is it cutting fuel? And yes it is turbo'd w/ a Banks wastegated Sidewinder.

Shadetree, Ill start doing some research on the timing adv and see if I can determine if thats a factor in my problem.

Right now Ive been just trying to get it in close so I can get it out of the shop so I can get my mud truck back up to the shop to do a few things to it. (new alum bed mounted radiator and incab adj timing control, and a few other small things) Ive already missed Labor Day weekend, and theres another big event in a few weeks that Id like to make, but promised myself Id atleast get this useable before I dove back into the mud truck. :dunno Too many projects not enough time and money.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
If your truck has a turbo, that screw should be about 1/2" out from that jam nut, factory N/A trucks were flush with the jam nut. I did a buncha research and we had a HUGE debate on here about it before I made that video lol

I meant to say 1/4" out...not 1/2....the more you thread that screw out, the more fuel you are giving the engine....the more you thread it in, the less fuel you have.....

....now, this is only upto a certain RPM. I mis adjusted one day and it was super sluggish...until about 16 - 1800 RPM then it took off alike a burned pack mule!

I re adjusted and it smoked like an old locomotive...then I RE adjusted again... lol.