New guy here and to diesel

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
Welcome neighbor.

I live near the bottom of Parley's...

Do you have an EGT gauge? My truck gets much hotter if I push the EGT's too far when going up the canyon. Just backing off 2-3 mph makes a world of difference to the EGT's and temperature.

No EGT gauge just yet, I have the original paperwork from the install of the ATS and it flat out says in it that they don't recommend a gauge! cookoo
Needless to say I am looking to put one in as it is a good thing to know, just a simple matter of time and money.

As for the hill climb, I usually try to hit the grades at around 65 and it does fine. That is until of course some idiot in a Prius, Subaru or some other little bug cuts me off and then drops their speed because of this big white truck trying to eat their bumper. -cuss

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the best forum for these trucks and engines....I'm thinking your radiator may need a change. Drop out some coolant so you can see the tubes in the top tank. If any deposits appear around the tubes then you have been running tap or well water mixed with the coolant... Not good. You need to run only true distilled water and colant. If you find the radiator in question just buy an aluminum radiator from a shop in Temulca Ca. They are around $250.00 with free shipping. For that price you can but two and still be money ahead. The bolt in no problems. About the factory thermostats. The ford or internationl are one and the same. They open at 192 degrees and are fully open at 212 degrees. Do not use any other thermostat. The can't pass enough coolant to keep these engines cool. A pyro is a must have with a turbo. I have no idea whay a shop that builds turbos would not have you install one. When the check engine lite comes on the dash gauge is pegged past the "L" in normal. That sender is located in the front of the drivers side head. That happens are 242 degrees. Usually its telling tou its late... Pull over and cool down... Listening for the fan to turn on is something you will need to do. You will know when it happens. The air noise is loud...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the hill climb, I usually try to hit the grades at around 65 and it does fine. That is until of course some idiot in a Prius, Subaru or some other little bug cuts me off and then drops their speed because of this big white truck trying to eat their bumper. -cuss

It used to be Volvos and Saabs, Now it is the 2 you just mentioned, I would love to run thier ass off in the ditch, and if one EVER brake checks me again while the camper is on they will be dented. They have no concept of a large loaded truck stopping, and they want to be the speed police. -cuss

Rant over.
Also the wife wants a pic of the dogs.:dunno

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
It used to be Volvos and Saabs, Now it is the 2 you just mentioned, I would love to run thier ass off in the ditch, and if one EVER brake checks me again while the camper is on they will be dented. They have no concept of a large loaded truck stopping, and they want to be the speed police. -cuss

Rant over.
Also the wife wants a pic of the dogs.:dunno

I have no idea why these are folks who drive these cars in particular do this. I wonder if it's just the self righteousness they feel cause they think they are driving the environment saviors or if it's because the hamsters revolted in the engine compartment when the pedal got pushed.

I get a kick out of the new billboard that Udot has put up showing a Prius getting plastered on the front end of a Semi. The text says "Cutting off a big rig will cost you a $700 fine, if you survive."

As for pics of the Dogs here you go. Black and grey mask is CJ, just turned 6 and weighs in at 126. Sheba is the middle child, 2 yrs old and 145 lbs and the last is the "puppy" Kruger, tips the scales at 180 lbs.

Attachments

• CJ.jpg
    CJ.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Sheba.JPG
    Sheba.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Kruger.JPG
    Kruger.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 4

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
... If you find the radiator in question just buy an aluminum radiator from a shop in Temulca Ca. They are around $250.00 with free shipping...

What is the name of this shop and do you have the web address? That is a really nice price for a radiator and I think running an aluminum one is the way to go.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Welcome to the site;Sweet Replacing the radiator will be a huge step in the right direction. A truck that runs fine around town and overheats towing or at interstate speeds is usually begging for a new radiator. Good luck:thumbsup:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea why these are folks who drive these cars in particular do this. I wonder if it's just the self righteousness they feel cause they think they are driving the environment saviors or if it's because the hamsters revolted in the engine compartment when the pedal got pushed.

Actually, there is an explanation of why the Prius, or other hybrids drive the way they do. There was information, and a survey done. All the hybrids have a little, battery usage / engine usage MPG display. Most of the hybrid drivers study this gauge, like we do the pyro, with our foot to the floor. If that meter goes toward engine usage or their MPG drops by .1 mpg they will lift off the throttle, or limit their accel so they use more electricity, or gain that .1 mpg back. I had one do that to me the other day.... merging onto the interstate.... traffic running at 70+ and they wanted to maintain their 45 and ease up to the speed limit, so they did not ruin their economy..... I almost got rear-ended because of them.......

Last edited: