New guy from NY

Flatbedford

Reaction score
A friend of mine is giving me this truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Its an '86 with a 4spd. The clutch is completely shot (won't drive) and the back of the cab is BADLY rusted. It has been out of service for about 1 1/2 years, but he says it runs, stops, and steers OK. I originally only wanted it for the dump hoist and some other stuff for my '70 F350 and to sell/scrap the rest. Now I'm thinking about fixing it and either keeping or selling it. I read the FAQ and some of the posts here but I'm looking for more general info on these diesel power plants. I also own a '96 F250 with a 351 and 5spd. My first truck was an '83 F250 with the 300 six, so I am familiar with this generation of Fords. Any advice on getting this thing running would be appreciated.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Welcome to the site - you have actually found probably one of the most active and knowledgable sites for the Ford/International IDI diesel.

sounds like it can be fixed, the clutch is actually a pretty easy fix. The engines are fairly durable so if you fix the clutch it should provide you a few more years service.

Flatbedford

Reaction score
I think the odometer reads 90,000 or so, but my friend thinks its turned over at least once. If I can get it running cheaply, I'll sell the '96 and have some truck $$$ to play with.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, and ya it should be real simple to get running.

Hope it works out for ya, there is always parts around to get these trucks going and usually at reasonable prices .....less u live in Canada.

Doh!

Flatbedford

Reaction score
Got it home today. A closer inspection says......JUNK. It will be parted and scrapped. The engine, trans, and transfer case are spoken for. Other stuff will be for sale.