new flatbed and bonus engine timing

rip van sparky

Reaction score
Well, last night I went and picked up the free;Sweet flatbed from 69oiler. It was about a 3.5 hour drive from where I am working. Truck seemed under powered dragging a 3500lb trailer into a decent headwind, couldn't maintain 65 up hills, even smaller ones -cuss. Didn't even make it the whole way on one tank, either. When I got to Rob's house I think the third thing he said was that it seemed like my truck's timing was retarded, especially since it sounded more like a gasser than a diesel. After loading up the flatbed with no problems we pulled the truck into his barn and he adjusted the timing. WOW! is all that I can say. :shocked: Had much more pulling power on the way home than on the way up. I also finished the trip up and all the way back home on one tank. I almost bought a cummins the day before for a swap but I think a turbo is all I need now. Anyway, long story short, timing is important! Rob is the man:hail . Got in at 3:00 this morning, safe and sound.

I'll post some pics of the flatbed after it has been finished. Anybody have a good source for stacks?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good stuff right there. I think way too many people discount how important timing is to a diesel and how sensitive they are to small changes.

Glad everything went well on the trip.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I saw a Dodge/Cummins just yesterday going down the highway that had stacks about that tall! It looked like crap. The buy had also put a big ass bumper on the front, big flat thing like on a semi. Might have looked ok, not sure, couldn't get over the 10 feet tall stacks. The dude had to have clearance problems on some low overpasses and definetly wasn't going through a MickyD's drive through! :puke:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
it was a pleasure meeting you John. i'm glad that you noticed a difference. i think your timing is close to where it should be but you may want to have it checked with a meter. i wouldnt worry too much though. it now sounds very much like my 6.9 which is set by ear by me, and confirmed and unchanged when checked by Mel and his meter.

have you cold started it yet? does it start any easier? how's the cold advance sound now:eek: ?:D

glad the flat bed will work out for you. i got it from Nick for nothing so i thought it only fair to pass it on to another OB. that truck of yours will be a beast with that bed/hitch setup. and a strong running 6.9;Sweet :cheers:

rip van sparky

Reaction score
Last couple of nights have been COLD and I have forgotten to plug it in. She definitely wakes up the neighbors in the morning, but it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it might be. It has always started easy and now is no exception, it's all good. Watching the turbos on ebay, too.

Yeeaaa, me thinks somebody is using those to overcompensate for somethin'. I would just like to get my exhaust up off of my truck and trailer. I got soot everywhere.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob's got a good ear. ;Sweet

Yea, you need stacks that long if your looking for accuracy in where you shoot your smoke. :rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online