New DMF makes clattering noise

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thanks towcat, thats the conclusion we've come to here as well. Its completely quiet when the engine is cold, but when its warm it starts to run rough (one cyl has a distinct loud fire) then it starts to make noise.
I got these new DMFs with the clutch kit for quite a bit less than half the cost of a SMF kit, and I dont get the annoying gear rollover with the DMF. ie. no annoying ******** from my mom. :)
So at this point we're done with it, cus we're betting that this misfire is what tore out the last one. So we're rebuilding the spare engine and going to just replace the whole engine. Its due anyway.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Well mine is brand new. $1700, its not funny to be joking around about somones $1700 parts that we also spent all weekend in the cold putting in. Not cool, just not cool.

thats a lot more the a SMFW kit and the gear rollover is only if you drive around idleling all day

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to try and pop test the injectors if you can.

I've gotten bad brand new Stanadyne injectors straight out of the box.-cuss
3 in one batch.

If they all in good order, the engine will be running smoother and less rattle as been said already on the DMF noise issue.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to try and pop test the injectors if you can.

I've gotten bad brand new Stanadyne injectors straight out of the box.-cuss
3 in one batch.

If they all in good order, the engine will be running smoother and less rattle as been said already on the DMF noise issue.

Yea thanks for the advice. We might do that. The thing is we bought these injectors along with about $500 more in injectors from diesel care, and now are not sure if they are any good.
It'll cost like $100 to pop test all of them and for that we might as well buy NEW set from that one guy on ebay for $80 more. But we might just so we can send these back and get our money back on them.
We're just so frustrated with this thing that we want to just get it going. It has a crap tone of blowby, and thats whats making us consider pulling the engine and replacing it.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
We've been told that with all the blowby and the hard fire in one cyl, that there could be a cracked piston or something.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Oh, PS. We purchased two DMF and clutch kits (one for moms truck, one for my 83 ZF conversion). So I conned a special deal for $600 shipped for each kit (flywheel and clutch). But thats still allot of money for someone as poor as me or my parents.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Yea thanks for the advice. We might do that. The thing is we bought these injectors along with about $500 more in injectors from diesel care, and now are not sure if they are any good.
It'll cost like $100 to pop test all of them and for that we might as well buy NEW set from that one guy on ebay for $80 more. But we might just so we can send these back and get our money back on them.
We're just so frustrated with this thing that we want to just get it going. It has a crap tone of blowby, and thats whats making us consider pulling the engine and replacing it.

You need to pop test the new ones too, especially if buying off ebay!