New DMF makes clattering noise

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
When the truck is running at idle it sounds like a chain is running around in the bellhousing. A little, tick.. tick tick.. ticktickticktick.......tick...tickticktick. Is this normal? This is a brand new DMF from Valeo. :dunno

Last edited:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yeah your hearing the noise from the solid flywheel it should go away just above idle if so its all good just gotta get used to the noise

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Its not a solid flywheel its a replacement DMF new from Valeo. My mom didnt like the gear rollover and not being able to speedshift with the luck mod solid one so we bought a new DMF. Just finally got it in today and it makes us nervous that it rattles like that at idle. But yes it goes away at just above idle.
It doesnt ratatatat when we shut it off anymore. So thats a good thing.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
no one thinks I got a bad NEW DMF?
I certainly hope not.
But what is causing it to rattle like that?

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always found the rattle on manuals at idle to be coming from the transmission input shaft. Granted I've not played with the ZF much. They may not do this.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't make any noise. I think you got a bad one with something loose inside it.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
When the truck is running at idle it sounds like a chain is running around in the bellhousing. A little, tick.. tick tick.. ticktickticktick.......tick...tickticktick. Is this normal? This is a brand new DMF from Valeo. :dunno

And here i thought mine did that because it was wore out.............sounds to me like it might be "brand new" like yours!:thumbsup:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well mine is brand new. $1700, its not funny to be joking around about somones $1700 parts that we also spent all weekend in the cold putting in. Not cool, just not cool.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Now, I drove the truck to work today. It doesnt make any noise until its good and warm, like over 20 min of driving. However, its only after the truck is real warm that it feels like it runs rough at idle. I dont know why, because this has "NEW" injectors, and a new IP. THe IP is from midwest whereas the injectors are from crap shack diesel care. So who knows about them. Wish we wouldnt have spend nearly $1000 there now that everyone has found out how bad they are there.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, could it be a break in issue? the new springs in that new DMF are probably pretty stiff. Could a new one possibly transmit vibration like a solid flywheel for a few hundred miles till things settle in???
Just a thought.

-------Robert

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well it does the Ratatatat when you shut it off still. Unless its supposed to do that. Id say there is definitely something wrong with the engine because it has a hard fire that is very distinct.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I'm sorry I get so annoyed when others skip over the stats and here I did it myself just assumed you went smfw not use to anyone putting one of those piece of craps back in the lucky mod is a good mod on the cheap but is no where close to a LUK smfw kit I'm sorry but it does sound like you still have problems

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Well mine is brand new. $1700, its not funny to be joking around about somones $1700 parts that we also spent all weekend in the cold putting in. Not cool, just not cool.

:rotflmao
As much bad has been said on here about DMF and the way it sounds in my truck right now.........I wouldnt touch one with a 10ft stick.
I know it must be disgusting to spend a lot of money and worse yet back breaking time and get no satisfaction........but it has happened to everybody at some point in time....welcome to the club

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
want peace of mind on your DMF?
check for endplay. The DMF should not have more than !/2" of free travel. move the inner part to the stop and mark. Move to the opposite stop and mark. It's that simple. The DMF is designed to "absorb" variations in the firing pulses from each cylinder. If the IP or the injectors is not firing when it chould be or the injectors are not "popping" when they should, the DMF's job is to help cushion the variations. The rattle you hear at shutdown is normal. For years I had a good source of DMFs from the stealership due to incorrect diagnosis. I don't see them as often anymore due to the PSD's taking over the market. I don't know how to tell you this in what way for you to believe, but your problem is not in your DMF if you already went through the grief of changing it out. The failure rate out of the box just plain doesn't exist.