New Diesel....Mod Help?

fordon46s

Reaction score
I just bought a 94 Powerstroke. F350. 5 Spd. 4x4. Truck is pretty much all stock except I put on a K&N Filter/Intake/Intake Box. I Daily drive this truck plus will be towing alot with it. What is some good stuff to do to get a little more power out of her. I plan on doing a down pipe and exhaust. I also thought about the Edge EZ. Any suggestions?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first get rid of the K&N.its a waste of money on a diesel.get a tymar intake or make your own.ill dig up the website for it later.dont waste your money on the edge either.get a good chip with some good programs.go to www.beansdieselperformance.com talk to ryan,he will set you up.do the 4" exhaust.also what do you want to get from the truck?we can go from mild to insane if you want.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you didn't read where he just put the K&N on it? Getting RID of it would be a waste of money at this point. Don't worry Fordon, your going to get plenty of pro K&N, and naysayer types here. Everybody is welcome to their opinion. For what it's worth, that's the only mod on my powerstroke also. I like the K&N. You can't wash and re-use a Tymar. ;Poke

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
my truck came with a K&N that allowed dust past the filter into the intake.. i trashed it and did a DIY intake with a NAPA filter.

congrats on the new truck.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you didn't read where he just put the K&N on it? Getting RID of it would be a waste of money at this point. Don't worry Fordon, your going to get plenty of pro K&N, and naysayer types here. Everybody is welcome to their opinion. For what it's worth, that's the only mod on my powerstroke also. I like the K&N. You can't wash and re-use a Tymar. ;Poke

K&Ns are no good on a PSD.tymar is the way to go

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the K&N. You can't wash and re-use a Tymar. ;Poke

You can replace the $34 Tymar filter 20 times for the cost of dusting and replacing the turbo when the dirt gets past the K&N.

IIRC Geo told me he was having to replace the Tymar about every year and a half and he was running 40 - 50k miles a year.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
You can replace the $34 Tymar filter 20 times for the cost of dusting and replacing the turbo when the dirt gets past the K&N.

IIRC Geo told me he was having to replace the Tymar about every year and a half and he was running 40 - 50k miles a year.

;Sweet You are money ahead buying a Tymar "type" filter as opposed to a K&N for sure!
And YES! I get awesome service life from mine :hail

Are you still running the stock filter box?....if so get RID of it and replace it with some 4" exh elbow and 3 perma torque band clamps.

Dale at Tymar sells a Duralite filter for his systems.

Here is the Luberfiner # LAF2533.....it is STILL a Donaldson/Duralite filter with the same CFM and micron rating, just with a Luberfiner #.

Cost $27 US.

Just sum FYI

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one out of this group who has good luck with K&N filters then. Got em' on all my rigs, and have had zero problems. To each his own.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one out of this group who has good luck with K&N filters then. Got em' on all my rigs, and have had zero problems. To each his own.

Yes Mel,
but this is your 1st PSD , listen to those who have experiance.
all I can say is beem there, done that , and have seen what happens with them:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what makes a PSD any different than one of the IDI's? They all got turbos and breath rioughly the same amount of air the way I run em.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
the filter does not fit the box right, plus the PSD moves more air than an IDI.
I actually lost performance even whrn the truck was stock.

lukesdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a TS Performance 6 position switch.

1995-2003 Ford Power Stroke 7.3L TS Performance 6 Position Chip. You will get the custom programmed chip and the 6 position switch for in-cab adjustability. This chip will let you have between the following programs:
Stock
High Idle
50 HP
75 HP
100 HP
140 HP

Very nice for the money.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
Get a chip from total diesel performance.;Sweet Ditch the k&n before you loose your turbo. The PSD takes in a lot more air than an IDI at a faster rate and the k&n lets dust through.:backoff Like others said stay away from edge and banks stuff, A custom chip will yield way more power!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online