New BB injectors, bad smoke, need advice

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^:rotflmao:rotflmao

I put a gauge on my fuel filter housing today. 1.5 maybe 2 psi with just the key on. Dropped to zero when I started the truck. I'm thinking my mechanical fuel pump might be toast.

Yes it definitely sounds like you need a mechanical pump. Funny to me it had 1.5-2 PSI residual after sitting, but 0 psi when running. How did it build the residual when sitting???

Anyway that's a cheap and easy swap. Hope it cleans up your smoke.

-Jeremy

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'Yes it definitely sounds like you need a mechanical pump. Funny to me it had 1.5-2 PSI residual after sitting, but 0 psi when running. How did it build the residual when sitting???'

The PO installed a small inline electric pump. When the key is on you can hear it trying to pump a little but it's clearly not enough to make up for the mechanical fuel pump. When it's running, I assume the IP is sucking fuel instead of having it supplied to it causing the pressure drop.

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem- I apologize for upsetting you when I pulled my valve covers. I assure you that was not my intention.:joker:

All kidding aside... I do appreciate all your advice. I have no problems with quality parts. But tinkering under the hood is really a hobby for me, I don't mind spending the time doing it. Spending money however is not a hobby of mine(unless you ask my wife). When it comes right down to it I have no problem spending the money on the parts, but there is just so much more satisfaction in figuring something out with a little elbow grease and bloody knuckles than throwing money at parts stores until the problem goes away. That probably doesn't make much sense to most but it works for mecookoo

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I would caution running an electric pump through the mechanical. If the mechanical diaphram failed the electric could pump fuel into the crankcase. I would recommend going electric or mechanical, but not both concurrently. I personally haven't had issues with the mechanical pumps and run them. But Many on here run the electric pumps.

Yeah if a guys going to run these trucks you better like tinkering!:Thumbs Up

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut out the electric pump and installed a new mech pump. Got good pressure now. After I get it properly timed, if it still smokes, I think I'll get new injectors... Again:frustrate

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didnt get NEW, you got remans. I still yhave some new sets. just sayin

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long and how much work will u put into observing a **** and attempting to polish it before you realizevthat a **** is a **** regardless how many times you look at it or polish it

Black dawg

Reaction score
Agnem- I apologize for upsetting you when I pulled my valve covers. I assure you that was not my intention.:joker:

All kidding aside... I do appreciate all your advice. I have no problems with quality parts. But tinkering under the hood is really a hobby for me, I don't mind spending the time doing it. Spending money however is not a hobby of mine(unless you ask my wife). When it comes right down to it I have no problem spending the money on the parts, but there is just so much more satisfaction in figuring something out with a little elbow grease and bloody knuckles than throwing money at parts stores until the problem goes away. That probably doesn't make much sense to most but it works for mecookoo

That is the right attitude to have trying to keep old stuff going. And the best way to actually learn how to fix stuff.