Need turbo rebuilt

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good place to have a turbo rebuilt? Looked at my turbo tonight and found out that it has some side to side movement to it-cuss . Also how hard is it to rebuilt a turbo? Would it be possible for me to rebuild it (no knowledge of turbos but can learn), or would it be best to let the profissional?

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than I thought it should be but I will check it again in the morning and get a measurement.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
If its not like sloppy and you can see, feel or hear it hitting the side of the housing, then its probably alright. These turbos need oil pressure in them to make the bearings tighten up. But if it hasnt been rebuilt since the truck was new, then its probably due at over 135,000 miles.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I was told by the shop that I Prchased my rebuilt turbo for my non
Non waste gted ATS from.If it feels loose try to turn the shaft if it turns smoth-and U can't make it rub againsgtthe houseing ou it back in and forget about it.

By the way he got me a factory rbuilt cartrage (by Garret)for something like $275.

My wish is I should have done some research or called Garrettt to see if we could change the tubro wheels to gain a shight amount of boost lik 10PSi or so.I Can only get 8 max. Even when it was towing.I Know Ican turn the fuel up more but my max egt with my fuel the way it is maxes at 1100 .That is good for me I was not racing anyone ,Just trying to pull my trailer at a reasonable speed ,and do it as cheap as possible.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What mr bill said, if it wont touch the housing and turns nice let it run, also load your truck from time to time or the turbo seals will slobber.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought mine was bad too, so I got a Ford reman one only to find out that it had just as much side to side play. I didnt get hurt on the reman trubo, was around $400. from a Ford dealer clearing out all there old stock.
So now I have a back up turbo sitting on the dining room floor.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't rub the housing any, but it spins very easily and smooth. It looks like I will leave it be for now. About the only time the truck is run it is hooked to a trailer, usually a gooseneck that weighs 7000 pounds empty, so it gets loaded up quite often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online