Need T-Case info - truck down

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all -
Ever since the last time I had my truck in 4 lo, its had a real hard time staying in either high side gear. Unfortunately, I had to put alot of miles on it yesterday, and I think I did it in - it will stay in gear until you let off the gas, then it just grinds. Mine is a 1993 with the zf5 and stock turbo - anyone know what t-case that is and what else they put it in? Thanks.

Jamie

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BW 1356
check your shifting mechanism first. Most problems are found there. If it hasn't been used in a while, it will bind up.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks -
I appreciate the linkage tip, but I don't think thats the deal with this one - Its winter in the mountains, I use the 4x4 daily. I re-did all my linkage with the 3" body lift a few months back, and it all moves where it needs to be. Regardless... the little bit of fluid that came out with all the metal that was in the case wouldn't leave me wanting to drive it anywhere even if I could tweak the linkage to work... are the input splines on the half ton cases the same as on my truck?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope
they're different.
rebuild kits with the chain shouldn't be more than 175, and its not rocket science doing it either. Can't help you with the weather.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to replace the shift fork in the T-case, the nylon bushing is wore. The exact same thing happened to mine.

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly there is an issue with the oil pump in these that can cause the thing to stop pumping oil, and then it self destructs. Can't recal the link to the article on that.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to replace the shift fork in the T-case, the nylon bushing is wore. The exact same thing happened to mine.

Jim

What he said, fix it quick or it will be real expensive, I just did mine and the fork was burned up because of the oil pump failure.
call all transmission parts in Portland oregon if you dont have a local supplier.

(800) 237-8601
they just started being wholesale only so invent a business shop name and have them ship to you

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll tear it apart and sniff around in there... I was hoping for the easy find junkyard Tcase to toss in there, but it will probably work better if I go through the whole thing... tsk tsk. I have a transmission supplier I do a bit of work with, they should be able to get whatever I need, and hopefully quickly... I'll let you know what I find.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you tear it apart you'll be amazed how simple they are inside. Everyone I have messed with has been because of a worn nylon bushing or a busted fork when people shift from 4 lo to 4 high when movingcookoo

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '87 had an oil pump failure, it wasn't pretty. I dumped the entire case and got another one.

As far as the oil pump, the problem is there is a triangular piece of steel that holds one side of the pump in place while the other spins on the shaft, causing the pump to operate. When the small end of the triangular piece moves back and forth in the ridge in the case enough, it just wears through and the whole thing spins around, and the pumping stops.

When I got a used one, before I put it into the truck, I pulled it apart, removed the triangular piece and welded a short piece of 3/4 square tube on the end. This spread the load across the entire width of the outer case, and that should never be a problem again.

Also, I understood it to be that all the BW1356 cases shared the same input shaft, regardless of the truck it was in. Just don't get one from a Bronco, they have fixed output yokes on the rear.