NEED some measurements for 38 Gal rear tank please??

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So Im trying to throw a 38 gallon rear tank in my truck to replace my 19 gallon one.;Sweet

I could sure use some help with some measurements to determine if I can work in a PTO winch at the rear. It may require some custom fab, but I need to know.

HOW FAR BELOW frame the tank is as the stock tank is essentially flush. I'm concerned about the routing of the drive shaft for the PTO input on the winch. :dunno

Currently it's a shaft driven Ramsey wide spool winch 8K rated, and it can be converted to use a hydraulic motor but I'd need a complete hydraulic setup. :rolleyes:

So for chitzngigglz I need to know how low that rear tank is as mentioned below the frame:confused:.

Anyone?????

The other option....install the electric 8K in rear and mount the PTO up front...either or, I'd prefer the PTO on rear though....

Thanks in advance.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
It is as low as the spare tire that will no longer fit there. The 38 gallon tanks are what the full sized Broncos used (as an option), hanging the spare on the tailgate.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is as low as the spare tire that will no longer fit there. The 38 gallon tanks are what the full sized Broncos used (as an option), hanging the spare on the tailgate.

NOPE As I own a Bronco, and attempted to use that tank it is only 33 gallons and also a different shape sorry, but thanks for trying,

As for the spare hanging there, I don't have one there never did and have no idea how it attaches.

Just need that measurement from bottom of frame to bottom of the tank. I know some here have installed them. someone has to be able to get a measurement simple nuff...LOL

Thanks again though for the suggestions

Al

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Sorry Al, I was going by what I remembered in a thread 3 years ago. 33, 38 easy to mix up. Is this an aftermarket tank? I would guess you could just measure the difference between the tanks, then you would know how ffar down the new one hangs. I was thinking about using a Bronco tank in back, but I don't travel enough to need so much range.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOPE As I own a Bronco, and attempted to use that tank it is only 33 gallons and also a different shape
I imagine this is academic at this point, but FWIW this is how the spare tire's supposed to mount.

You must be registered for see images attach

BTW, thanks Mike...I always assumed that putting a spare tire in the factory spot wasn't going to happen with a 33 or 38 gallon tank, but thank you for confirming it ;Sweet

Unfortunately, I've never seen a 38 gallon tank with my own eyes, so I don't have any input on dimensions...

sassyrel

Reaction score
i believe,,it sticks approx 5 inches below the frame...dont have it anymore...

8ball

Reaction score
It's double the capacity of the normal rear tank, and it looks like it is twice as "thick" as the stock tank, so measure the "thickness" of your 19 gallon stock rear and double it?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HOW FAR BELOW frame the tank is as the stock tank is essentially flush. I'm concerned about the routing of the drive shaft for the PTO input on the winch. :dunno
Jeff's Bronco Graveyard lists the double-capacity tank as 13-3/4" deep, factory is 7-7/8" deep, if factory sits flush then the big one will hang about 6" below frame rails. There was a thread on PSN where someone showed installing such a tank and IIRC he listed the change in height, tho I seem to have lost the link to it...

Are you thinking of running the PTO drive under the tank? That will be a mess, from the PTO box you'll have to go up above the axle at like tailpipe level (not hard at all), but then you gotta drop over a foot on a very steep angle to go under the tank. Look at your tailpipe, and imagine it made of straight pieces connected w/ U-joints - that's what the drive for a low-mounted rear winch will look like. I've seen PTO front winch on a LandCruiser that had its drive go over the front axle, it had like 5 u-joints and all were loose (abused) but it still worked decent cause overall the PTO shafts were fairly inline w/ each other w/ small angles between them - w/ below-tank drive, the u-joints will be screaming for mercy even at light loads.

The other option....install the electric 8K in rear and mount the PTO up front...either or, I'd prefer the PTO on rear though...
If rear bumper PTO is required, I'd much rather lower the entire tank (be it standard one or double capacity) a few inches so I can run PTO shaft above it to keep it as straight and flat as possible. However that would require modifications to tank fill neck and therefore its hose routing. The other option could be mounting the winch in the front of the bed, then using a removable fairlead on top middle of the rear bumper to support the line (or w/ a snatch block you can even redirect the line sideways as needed). Not sure what driveline angles will look like for this tho, it's kinda close to the PTO (especially in a reg cab) and quite a bit above it too... Still maybe worth looking into?

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff's Bronco Graveyard lists the double-capacity tank as 13-3/4" deep, factory is 7-7/8" deep, if factory sits flush then the big one will hang about 6" below frame rails. There was a thread on PSN where someone showed installing such a tank and IIRC he listed the change in height, tho I seem to have lost the link to it...

Are you thinking of running the PTO drive under the tank? That will be a mess, from the PTO box you'll have to go up above the axle at like tailpipe level (not hard at all), but then you gotta drop over a foot on a very steep angle to go under the tank. Look at your tailpipe, and imagine it made of straight pieces connected w/ U-joints - that's what the drive for a low-mounted rear winch will look like. I've seen PTO front winch on a LandCruiser that had its drive go over the front axle, it had like 5 u-joints and all were loose (abused) but it still worked decent cause overall the PTO shafts were fairly inline w/ each other w/ small angles between them - w/ below-tank drive, the u-joints will be screaming for mercy even at light loads.

If rear bumper PTO is required, I'd much rather lower the entire tank (be it standard one or double capacity) a few inches so I can run PTO shaft above it to keep it as straight and flat as possible. However that would require modifications to tank fill neck and therefore its hose routing. The other option could be mounting the winch in the front of the bed, then using a removable fairlead on top middle of the rear bumper to support the line (or w/ a snatch block you can even redirect the line sideways as needed). Not sure what driveline angles will look like for this tho, it's kinda close to the PTO (especially in a reg cab) and quite a bit above it too... Still maybe worth looking into?

Ya I'm still pondering *** to do, IMHO the best bet is hydraulic but then, that can stall out too....seen it happen. There is an advantage to that though....in regards to not tearing a truck in half LOL

It would be simpler to run hydraulic lines than PTO shafts..

Regardless I've got to see if the winch can be repaired prior to much more work on PTO vs Hyd.

Thanks though that helps me I figured around 6" drop...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If by stalling you mean when load on motor is so high the line pressure causes the pump relief valve to open and bypass, then I'd think that's a good thing, it's a safety feature of sorts that prevents permanent damage - if the hydro stalls out you just release, re-rig, and try again. With mechanical drive when you overload the winch you break stuff, and once broken there is no re-rigging and going for another try, you're done till you repair the damage. Which is probably exactly why you now need to repair the winch, someone overloaded it good and found out its driveshaft wasn't the weakest link.

Desertrig

Reaction score
My super duty has a funky rear tank that was evidently stock and is NLA - sort of an L shaped tank. I'd be really surprised if it's 38 gallons. I'm currently headed back home in a 47 Buick, hoping to make it on Friday. The tank is really low slung, but I can get you a measurement then if that's what your looking for....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
LMC sells 38 gallon rear tanks for 80-89 trucks.
Also something I think that will really help you, they have a mounting kit that extends the bolts. Cheap too, $15.
43-5063 for 80-84
43-5062 for 85-86
43-5061 for 87-89
I'm sure they could be used on the newer trucks also.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I'd like to know is, has someone used PSD pickup/sender assemblies in '90-'94 tanks? Or am I gonna be the guinea pig again? In case someone wonders why, PSD assemblies are stainless - IDI ones, well, let's ask Riotwarrior what condition his are in? Sure hope IDI plastic lines will hook up to PSD pickup/senders... Btw when extending pickup tube correct hose to use is 30R10, submersible fuel hose - the 30R9 that is (or at least should be) used elsewhere in the fuel system is resilient to diesel fuel only on the inside.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I'd like to know is, has someone used PSD pickup/sender assemblies in '90-'94 tanks? Or am I gonna be the guinea pig again? In case someone wonders why, PSD assemblies are stainless - IDI ones, well, let's ask Riotwarrior what condition his are in? Sure hope IDI plastic lines will hook up to PSD pickup/senders... Btw when extending pickup tube correct hose to use is 30R10, submersible fuel hose - the 30R9 that is (or at least should be) used elsewhere in the fuel system is resilient to diesel fuel only on the inside.

My pickups where okely dokely there, just the bottom of tanks shot tops where primo!

I'm still fiddling with this whole idea here and it's a pain in the tank to say the least, at this point I'm thinking the best damn option...is to build a better tank and if need be for a PTO I can always run a custom thick walled TUBE through the tank for either a pair of HYD lines or PTO shaft to pass through! Just thinking out loud since I do have some Aero tank drawings depicting a 40 or 45 gallon rear tank!!!!

I could baffle the crap outta it, and be done ONCE and for all...

Gotta invest in a decent MIG first however....LOL

Still waiting on someone who's done the 38 gallon conversion however to chime in with measurements..

Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online