Need Some help on my 84 F-250

Fordman84

Fordman84
Reaction score
I have a 84 F-250. and it needs new pads and rotors on the front. I have a 1990 f 150, and the brake setup is alot different. i was trying to take it apart today but i just cant figure how the f%$k it comes apart. i took the bolt out of the bottom, but i just cant get it to come apart. any help with some pictures if possible would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The 250 and 350 calipers have two pins that need to be knocked out on the top and bottom. I use a hammer and screwdriver. Once its out you will understand how they hold the calipers inplace. You can go buy these pins so you know what they look like. They usually get replaced every brake job just for safetys sake.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your 90' F-150 has a single piston caliper, and probably has a bolt you remove and a shoe that slides out on the bottom only. As was stated, the dual piston calipers have a barbed pin (two metal stampings sandwiching a piece of rubber) and these pins usually come with either the pads or caliper (I forget which), but can be purchased seperately. I'm guilty of re-using them many times without any problems, as long as they are holding their shape. A drift and hammer can tap them out from the outside towards the inside, although in theory they can be inserted from either direction. Be sure to lube them well with disk brake caliper lube.

Fordman84

Fordman84
Reaction score
My 90 F-150caliper assy. has the two pins. like agnem described the pins. but the f-250 has has some kind of holder on the bottom with a bolt holding it

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Mel hit the nail on the head, it's a sandwich of two stainless steel strips with rubber in the middle. I keep a handful in the glove box as I've had a few fall out over the years...I always spread the ends with a hammer and punch so they don't fall out. The brackets on my D60 front are so worn I don't need slider lube - no worry's about anything siezing...LOL

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW the 1984 trucks are a bit different than the later years, in that there's no rubber piece in the assembly. It instead has an all-metal "key" that looks like a small I-beam (with one channel surrounding the mount and the other channel surrounding the bottom of the caliper), with a metal flat spring that goes between the key and the caliper itself. The retaining bolt fits inside a notch cut into the I-beam channel.

With that said, the removal procedure's very similar to the rubber-encased key assembly used in later years. Once the retaining bolt's been removed, you'll need a hammer and punch to forcibly remove the key. The FSM picture's showing a person hitting it on the inboard side and pushing it outboard, but IIRC you can go either way. The spring is a separate piece from the key, so make sure you don't lose it when it comes off!

FWIW, my FSM doesn't say anything about needing to replace the key or the spring. I don't know if you could substitute it with a later rubber-encased key assembly or not, but I don't think there's any reason to.

Hope this helps some...good luck!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason, the "Go Advanced" in the "Edit window didn't want to work, so I'll just add another post. I found a few pictures of the key-spring setup that my '84 has. Hope this helps ;Sweet

Attachments

• Brake Key 01.jpg
    Brake Key 01.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Brake Key 02.jpg
    Brake Key 02.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Brake Key 03.jpg
    Brake Key 03.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 4

sassyrel

Reaction score
and when you take it apart, put a new flat leaf spring in there--after soooooo many times of being hammered on in reverse--the tension decreases---